Thread: Handbrake adjustment

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Handbrake adjustment

More questions for you all. As the car is rolling and you apply the handbrake the car dips. Does this mean that its not been self adjusting properly? The cables seem free enough underneath so i assume they not seized on one side.
    While im on how do you adjust it anyway as its not holding the car on my drive.

Its a 1.8 CD estate with rear discs

Thanking you knidly

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think all cars with trailing arm or torsion beam suspension dip the back end if handbrake is applied while moving.

Adjusting the handbrake is part of each service.....?

If it's an Astra-G the adjuster is under the handbrake, remove the trim panel and move the gaiter out of the way.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oops my bad. i ment that it dips on one side.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    You need to check the condition of the cable on the side it doesn't "dip" on then. If one side has stretched then that side won't engage the brake no matter how high you pull the handle up. Best bet would be to change the back part of the cable (i.e. the long part). IIRC its £40-£50 from a stealers but most motor factors will do it and it will cost you less than half the VX price. I paid £28.70 inc VAT for both parts of the exact same cable you need (I have a mk4 estate with rear discs)

HTH
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question M.O.T Hand brake 68% =Failed

My Zafira right, rear cable is in need of adjustment, when both rear wheels are off the ground, and putting wheels back on, with the hand brake fully applied . the left wheel studs tightened ,and the braks held with my full weight bearing,The right wheel slips, every time, failed MOT,
    foot brake front 2% =pass
    foot brake rear 3% =pass
    Hand brake 68%= Fail
    My Friend slackened (in mid section of the car I think,)a cable to rear right to allow ,the cable to be disconnected from brake lever, Then i realised that the cable can de disconnected ,by pushing the lever fully ahead, I think this cable ,needs to be set again, Hot do you know , the correct tension.
    Thanks JG

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Astra's brakes work in diagonal pairs, so the front n/s & rear o/s are a pair, & the front o/s & rear n/s are a pair.

If the car is dipping to one side, I would say that the opposite rear caliper is not functioning right.

I have the same problem on my car.

I have just replaced the handbrake cable, rear discs & pads & my rear o/s caliper is not moving the cable correctly, therefore, dipping the car in a front left motion, as the front n/s is the stonger connection & pulls the car in that direction.
    If the caliper was working correctly, there would be an even brake pressure across the car, & it would not dip to one side.

I am changing the rear calipers soon, so hopefully this problem should go away & the handbrake should work as it's suppose to.

But, the car still went through an MOT today, & passed

Hope this helps.