Thread: Which front and rear discs and pads

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Which front and rear discs and pads

ok got he mot done today and as suspected the pads and discs are in need of a change soon.

So my motto why replace for standard when you have to replace may aswel upgrade.

So what do i go for folks, is a budget of £200 reasonable or do i need to be prepared for more. the cars used every day but i do like a firm stop as its very sloppy atm.

Any help info links are recieved greatley

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For that budget u could quite easily get a full set of discs from mtec on ebay.

click here: http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...&fsop=1&fsoo=1

For just over £150 u can get front 308s and rears but if ur just running 280s then have a look on the site.

A few ppl on this site have used them with no problems - Ive had mine on for about 16mths now and still as good as ever.

Just need to get some decent pads and ur sorted.

Just my opinion of course...no doubt youll be inundated with replies from ppl slating these discs (but no doubt they havent had first hand experience!) anyway good luck in ur hunt!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice one cheers Geordie.

Whats your thoughts on which pads?

as said i dont need a hard pad as i use the car all day eevery day so fade isnt an issue really just want a decent set Maybe i should upgrade to the bigger discs too 308's hmm alot of decisions

Mind you seen these below look alright deal to me, just decide which pads now, ive used ferrodo on previous cars but am willing to listen to suggestions even if its standard you people think are best

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASTRA-GSi-16v-...QQcmdZViewItem

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that link is for the Astra F - they have 280s listed and they have rears listed - but not a joint package.

Just email the seller for their best price for your model.

Id seriously consider doin the 308 conversion - afterall u use the same calipers - u just need the uprated carriers and ur more or less sorted (i think!)

then front/rear discs for £150 and then u just need to find some pads.... (sorry but im in no position to comment on pads)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just use the standard GM pads, they're reasonably good wearing, and for the price quite good performance.

I've had standard pads on my car since I got it (it had new discs and pads then), 24000 later the pads still have 4mm of beef left. Considering most of my driving is stop-start in the town, I think that's hard to beat.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive always thought GM pads were excellent. Ive been using Mintex standard compound ones for the last 16months or so and theres almost the full pad left. The seller listed above also sells these pads.

Might be worth an email requesting a full package price for discs/pads

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah think i shall do Geordie

im confident doing the front discs/pads as i had them off when doing a hub change which was a ball ache.

however rears are more tricky i hear need some sort of winding tool for rear caliper?

im afraid i dont know which system i have lucas or bosch, the cars a 2ltr 199 V reg if that pinpoints?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    U can easily tell by just looking at them

Bosch have 4 ridges along the top of the caliper whereas the Lucas units are smooth

as for the caliper winding tool - maybe best doing a search as im fairly sure some members have managed to get round this by making their own tool or just by using some type of long nose pliers or something.

Unfortunately i aint got rear discs on this motor so i cant comment

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i also recommend the mtec drilled and grooved. i have had mine 3months and never had any problems