Thread: Lowering

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lowering

I have always been put off lowering my car as some people have had problems with comfort afterwards.

How easy is it to do, how much will it cost for a fairly decent set up and what sort of benefits will the handling gain and lastly will the comfort/ride will be affected?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I've lowered mine 55 at the front, 20 at the back, and apart from the odd manhole cover it's pretty good. The proper shortened shocks are the main thing that keeps the comfort. Then again, I think things would be very different on 17s - the 16s with the standard 50 profile tyres are a good compromise between comfort and handling.

I do up to 3k a month, and the car is fine, even on the shoddy excuses for roads we have here.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Brian
    I got mine lowered 30mm front and rear about 9 months ago with Eibach springs and Koni shocks (front dampner adjustable). I also upgraded from 14" wheels to 17" wheels. The improvement in cornering was fantastic, the car just feels like it grips the whole way. As for the comfort, you will obviously not have the comfort of stock but it is not too far off and you do get used to it. It's not really until you hit a pothole that you feel a big shudder. Besides, the handling and visual improvements you get I believe far outweigh the minor negitive ride comfort, but it's your choice! Trust me though, once you get it lowered you won't want to go back!

Just make sure that if you do lower it you get some shorter springs, it's well worth the extra expense.

BTW I have my shocks set on half, so if you get these shocks and it's too firm you just have to soften them a little.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mines droped 40mm all round and thinking of changing it to 60/40 drop mate but at the mo the ride is still really nice cant fault it and it handles alot better to
    59 Plate Astra MK5 Sapphire Black 1.8i VVT 140Bhp (Won't be that for long)

"Hey Derick Babaylon 5 is a big pile of s**t!" /Love Spaced.