Thread: Brake Discs

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brake Discs

need to change my brake discs. my dad said these are normally expensive but i know someone who works for a parts distributor and said they can get them for £7.80 plus vat per disc. my dad said this sounds for too cheap. does it it sound right or not?
    2006 Astra 1.6 16V Twintop Sport

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    that does sound too cheap tbh mate, do you know what make they are?

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The genuine ones are quite pricey (tha pads too, remember spending about ~60 GBP for the pads only!) , but there are aftermarket brands that make these cheap. Of course the pads should be changed too.
    Astra Mk4 3d X14XE / Midnight Black Z298

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i got my pads for the rear they were only £14 from Vauxhall. so maybe he misread the parts list and they are actually rear pads. The price may also be minus VAT
    SMIC, miltek catback, precat, Thorney remap 242.7 bhp 281lb/ft torque

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    TBH if he works for a parts distributor then he's likely to get anywhere up to 50% off so that price doesn't sound that bad as its per disc - they're almost certainly not genuine GM but that doesn't matter particularly as long as they meet the appropriate British Standards. I paid £30 for a pair of rear discs for mine off eBay, and no complaints at all with them. By my calculations, 2 discs @ £7.80+VAT each works out at £18.33 so I would say when considering employee discounts etc thats not that cheap that it would make you suspicious or dubious of the quality...

Referring to the above comment about paying ~£60 for pads from VX, don't forget that VX bump up the prices if you buy just discs or pads seperately (~£60-£80), yet if you buy discs AND pads together it will only cost you a little more than just buying one (~£70-90 IIRC). This is something VX do to encourage you to be a bit more safety concious and change your discs/pads at the same time
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.