Thread: Optical Express - opinions

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Optical Express - opinions

I've just booked myself in for an eye test at Optical Express next week but I'm a little concerned about going to be honest.

My issue is that you see these high street shops and I always lump them together with the laser surgery adverts you see on TV and I wonder whether you'll get treated like just another number as if I'm on a supermarket conveyor belt....ie....In...eye test...yes madam your eyesight is cr@p, give us a couple of hundred quid and we'll sort it....etc.

I've always been to a small individual firm before when I lived back at Wycombe and I always felt looked after.

Can someone reassure me please that these people are actually bothered about doing their job properly and that they wont just fob me off!!

What are your experiences?
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you're concerned about them, then don't go, but find a proper opticians: there must still be some about somewhere

I went to vision express a few years ago and took advantage of their £50 specs offer - it cost me £200 . My next visit was to a proper family firm and they did a much thorough test told me I didn't acutally need bins

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would tend to steer clear of these types of companies. Many of them do not actually employ qualified opticians. Look carefully at the adverts they will usually talk about 'optical technicians' or the such. The whole point of an eye exam - is the examination bit - you want a properly qualified professional optician to check you eyes over, not just how well you see but also if you have any problems such a glaucauma (spelling?) or anything else for that matter.

I tend to go for Boots the chemist opticians - you are examined by a professional optician and they do a range of tests.

Remember these vision express type set ups are cheap for a reason - 1 hour lense service - this just tells me they rush things!
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use boots, and they are good, although I did have an exam at optical express and boots one year (optical express didn't have any frames I liked) and the prescription was identical. if they spend less than about 20 minutes you aren't getting a full test.
    2 Door E350 CDI - OM642 power baby
    emJlZnIgdmYgZmJiYmIgeW5mZyBscm5l

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im keen to goto OE as they have some oakley frames I like and the lens costs are fairly simple unlike other places. the only thing putting me off it the lack of certificates on display etc lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I went optical express last year,
    told me my eyesight was perfect and no need for glasses etc
    then a goodbye lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Optical Express are to eyes what Kwik fit are to cars.......read that us utter toss.

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks all, I'll be calling to cancel my appointment tomorrow.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ok guys and gals!! ALL opticians/optometrists are fully qualified, they all go to the same universities and sit the same exams no matter which company they work for or in which part of the country. They are the only people that will (or SHOULD!) test your eyes. The assistants in the shop might do your Glaucoma test (blowing air into your eyes) but that doesnt require qualifications!! I work for Vision Express so its nice to hear what experiences you've had there!! But i can assure you we do NOT rush things. The only reason we are able to make your glasses in an hour is because the company has spent hundreds of thousands of £££'s getting in-store labs (equipment that makes your glasses!) You wait a week at least if you go anywhere else and for 6 days of that your glasses are in transit to and from a lab like the ones we keep in our stores!! Dont think that just because we provide a quick, 1-hour service we dont give a toss once we've got your money!!
    OK, rant over. Now i'l take a breath!! Sorry

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slindborg View Post
    im keen to goto OE as they have some oakley frames I like and the lens costs are fairly simple unlike other places. the only thing putting me off it the lack of certificates on display etc lol
    Sweet, didnt know that! I need some prescrition sunnies for the car!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast