AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Computer WIFI network help please

Dear all the computer gurus out there:

I currently live with the inlaws, where our network setup is
    Virgin media 2mb broadband in to a modem, then to a wifi router which is hard wired to a tower system, My Wife and I then have a laptop each which are wireless.

The tower is always on with my shared access usb HDD and shared usb printer attached, sort of like a server.

Trouble is we are in the process of buying our own house and the tower system belongs to my father in law so that wont be coming with us.

So the problem is:
    I want to be able to save pictures and music etc onto a common hard-drive that either laptop can save to and pull info off at any time, even the same time if need be. I want to be able to surf/browse the web on both wireless laptops but no large downloads are needed. and I want to be able to wireless printing from both laptops.

I dont want to buy a server or tower to act like a server but I have seen a router which I think would solve my problems, but a "know it all" in work says it wont work.

the router is this one

and this is how I would like it setup:

any comments our suggestion welcome

Thanks

Lee

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We have the same sort of thing in work, tis fine.
    L600NYY
    Veccy C pipe, Brock B2's 17 x 8.5, Tints All Round.
    From The Northwest?? >> CLICK!<<

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Seems like it would do the job fine for usb printer a usb hard + the internet hdd as well, one thing about the diagram you did, you have the router connecting to the tv via hdmi, shouldn't this be a laptop being connected to the tv as that router doesn't have any video outputs.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bubba, you are right, 1st router I was looking at was a media station and had a hdmi output, it was this one.

So, how would video streaming be, if I had video files on the NAS hdd and wifi them over to the laptop then vga out to LCD.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, that would be the way to do it, you may not get full HD from vga though as i know on my brothers lcd tv it only displays a resolution of 1024x768(not widescreen resolution) on his 40" HD lcd. Another thing is depending on how good the wifi is it may not stream properly, i have trouble streaming files to my laptop in another room over wifi but that could be because our house is made entirely from concrete so this could effect it. We have just ran a network cable to behind his tv so when hes streaming video he just plugs that in and disables the wireless, then when hes just browsing the web he just uses the wireless. Our router is a few years old and is only a cheap one so that router might be much better for video streaming but cant say for sure as i have never used it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If I was to use this router instead which has a built in NAS and a hdmi out. I could save any video's to it and then it would hdmi straight to to TV, deleting the streaming part. so this should be seemless video. shouldnt it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My bad, that is not a router.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You could always use that wireless media player along with a standard router, although you wouldnt be able the share the printer then but im sure you could pick up a cheap enough router with printer sharing support but all this might work out a bit more expensive.

Also another thing i forgot to mention was what type of broadband will you be getting at your new place, cable or adsl as you will need to get a router which will work with either cable or adsl.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I suppose video streaming isnt really neccersory. If I want to I can allways connect my laptop up to the vga in on the LCD tv.

Shared WWW, shared HDD and shared printer, all being wireless are the main priority

Thanks for your help