Thread: Cyclists, should they be shot?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cyclists, should they be shot?

I was waiting at some lights when two cheeky cyclists rode stright through the red light to turn left...........beside me was a cop car! He did go after them and slowed down to have a word, but did not give them a ticket.

I was pi$$ed off becuase if I had driven through the lights in the same manner in my car I would have got a ticket and quite rightly too.

The best bit was the next set of lights turned red as the copper drove through and the bl00dy cyclists rode past and through them on red too!

When I caught them up I gave them bu99er all room as I went past.....to55ers (and the copper too).
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    if they are on the road they should use the same laws as car van bus's etc and with the police been there i am suprised nothing was done.

A few years back when i had my paper round i got a warning off a police man for riding on the pathment and then another time i was warned by a police man for riding on the road as i was too close to the cars (they had to slow for the speed bumps where as i could just jump off them! lol) so how do you win!

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They either go through red lights, cycle at night with no lights, cycle on the wrong side of the road (sometimes dressed in black), hold traffic up for a mile or two and worse of all cycle on the road when there is a cycle path 1m to the left of them :@

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cyclists who ride through red lights should yes, but thats by far not the majority. Road cyclists are generally just commuters, which answers all the questions of 'cyclist' arrogance and ignorance, which pretty much only applies to the commuter city types.

Its the same as shooting anyone with a nice car and a sound system, because they're all chavs who speed and break road traffic law too

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    me i hit a bike a few weeks ago broke his leg an arm an a nice new cuts on his face as he jumped a red light in london i was driving a coach with 42 people on my side even the guy on the bike put his hand up and said he jumped the red light he wont be doing that again

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The problem is that cyclists and bikers (I know coz I woz one in my youth), do not 'act' like cars. By this I mean they will weave in and out of traffic etc. and this is something that car drivers are not looking for resulting in an accident.

I gave up the bike when I fell off and hurtled 'Superman' style into the side of a Volvo. Those side impact protection bars are really good. The look on the drivers face .... it still makes me laugh now (but obviously not at the time!).

Car drivers are not totally blameless when it comes to jumping red lights - remember the 'amber gambler' adverts some years ago? It just infuriates me when I see this happen.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K3FUS View Post
    Cyclists, should they be shot?
    YES! with a hi powered rifle...
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Couple of cyclists annoyed me today but not really their fault, first time i was coming down the road that had a cyclist lane in it, as i approached my street on the left there was a cyclist beside me so i had to wait, (ok an entire 10 seconds or so but still) before i could pull into my street, but what if there were a say 10 or so cyclists in the lane one after the other (unlikely i know) it would hold the traffic up quite a bit and annoy alot of people. Another thing as well, was in the right hand lane over taking a parked car, did my usual checks after and moved into the left, then spotted a cyclist stopped at the red lights and didn't have time to move back into the right hand lane so had to crawl along behind him for ages until someone let me pass him! Although before i got a car i cycled quite a bit which i haven't done since i got a car so i shouldnt really be saying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by clanless View Post
    Car drivers are not totally blameless when it comes to jumping red lights - remember the 'amber gambler' adverts some years ago? It just infuriates me when I see this happen.
    You mean for taking off on amber or going through amber lights? My driving instructer when i was learning always told me that amber means go when the lights are going to green, i know this is wrong but its what he taught me, i always go on amber but i always make sure there is nothing in the way, i never totally rely on the lights, ill always stop on amber if i have enough time though.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i must admit i have on a few occassions turned left on a red light when cycling through the city.

wrong i know and i would never do it in the car but some how it seems more exceptable when on the bike.
    maybe due to being more vulnerable and knowing that realistically you arn't going to get any fines etc for it.

at the same time i also expect all other cyclists to do it when in the car.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On the issue of amber lights - there used to be 5 odd seconds between one set of lights going red and the other going green. I've noticed on the way into work (as you can see the reflection of the other set of lights) that as one goes red the other goes green almost straight away - no delay. Now this is ruddy dangerous - two amber gamblers makes an accident.

Has any1 else noticed this?
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast