Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter

Question MG Longbridge and the TF

Right some of you may not know but I really really really fancy an MGTF. Always have. However a mate who runs a garage has seen them and hates them with a vengence. Obviously theres the usual problems being a rover HG failures ect. Now my mate hates them as they are a pain to work on the engine and their subframe is from a metro.

Now that Nanching (whatever) are relaunching them do you think they will make the chassis any better? Also do you think they might substitute the power plant for something a little bit better?

Do you think that MG's will sell well and that their lustre can be restored?

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Its only the early 'bug eyed' ones that use the Metro subframe, the MGF, and my mate indeed refers to them as 'some hydragas pi5h car'. The Later MG TF, my mate advises me is a completeley different car, only using some panels from the earlier car and is much better.

I actually quite like them.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I like the look of the later TFs and they have a good choice of engines.

I drove a 135bhp jobbie and it went well. However, with the revised suspension over the early model, the handling has 'improved' but at the expense of ride comfort and refinement, to the extent that the handling becomes unsettled and rough which could throw you off line so TBH, the revised suspension is not a step foward IMO.
    Found the car annoying to drive after afew miles on my local roads because of the suspension jitter.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    there will be no real difference to the new built cars compared to the old. They are still a shit to work on and still an old designed car. Waste of money and I dont think anyone in this country should buy them! Any Rover that county makes should be boycotted!
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

SXi Stu
    you can get them really cheap these days which is a bonus

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think ppl are put off by the badge, but I have heard the later ones are really good cars. I quite like them, but maybe a bit girly tho.

And since when was any austin-rover derived vehicle actually good to work on anyway lol!
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Well I saw one the other day in a colour similar to arden blue. It had a remus exhaust, cone filter, he had a few sports bits and peices on for the engine. It sounded like a jumbo jet because it was really loud but f. me it went like stink (1.8 VVT). I stood no chance in my 1.6. Just made me want one even more. Plus I've seen a few nice body kits for it as well.

Personally though I recon racing green with gold stripe is the way to go.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We had one in at work, I moved it once then point blank refused to drive it again. An absolutely terrible car. The buil quality wasnt great, it was cramped and was just generally a terrible car much like the rest of the Rover range.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My ex had one. They are very cramped inside. Although the 1.8 goes as well as my 2.0 Astra. The 1.8 VVC are easily quicker than any NA Astra.

There was a Mk1 MGF, followed by Mk2 MGF, followed by MGTF.
    The Mk1 was awful in every way. The Mk2's had a lot of the crap fixed (And that's when they introduced the Trophy edition and the VVC engine - which isn't a Rover engine so not as prone to HGF as the others). The MGTF has a modified chassis etc but is still crap compared to the likes of MX-5, Elise, VX220 etc etc. But for a £1000-4000 car that has a nice soft top and can out perform a lot of hatchbacks then they're good fun. They ARE NOT an everyday car - you'd get pissed off and kill yourself!

The only thing to remember with servicing is that it has to be done indoors, as to get a decent access to the engine, it's roof off (not down - off) and then open the engine cover which is under the 'rear parcel shelf'.
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!