Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

ebay and buying cars

**rant**

I really dont see why people auction cars on ebay! If they want a price why dont they just sell it at that price? I mean why put the starting figure at £500 and then "reserve not met". When every body knows the reserve will be silly high!

Then the ones that dont have reserved have the " right to end auction early" IE I haven't put a reserve but if I dont get what I want for it I will pull it last minute and list it again!

I just dont see the point - they have fixed adverts for cars so why dont they just use them or put them in the trader! I get the feeling that most are hoping for a massive figure due it being an auction but in reality it just means no one bids!

Has anyone got a good deal on ebay when buying a car?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    3 years ago my dad picked up an X reg 406 for £250... the bloke forgot to put a reserve on it, and fair play to him he sold it at the winning bid price!

I think he only owned it for a month before it was sold on for a considerable amount more than he paid in the first place

It pi$$es me off when they put unspecified reserves or they "reserve right to end early" too
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would never buy a car off ebay, you just dont know what your bidding on, unless you actually go and vew the car but like you said they should just put them on the trader! I think some people do it as a cheaper way to advertise their car as some leave a contact number to make an offer!
    199 BHP 322 lbs/ft Torque from a smokey diesel!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive been watching a pug rallye thats on there its on £1021 at the mo with no reserve and the buyer has the right to remove.i didnt think it would bring much more than what its on now.after searching forums i found out the owner wants £2100 for it.so theres no chance ill be buying it.
    ive decided to spend the cash i have on my mk4 instead.all pugs deleted from my ebay

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    These are the responses that **** me off:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in my car. Here are some details I think you may find useful : 2003 BMW xxxxxxxxxx, Silver metallic, Automatic, 31215 miles. No accidents, no damages, no scratches, excellent condition, full UK specs, HPI clear, full service history, UK supplied car (NOT AN IMPORT) still registered in UK.The car is 100% working and looking AMAZING,is like new ,in perfect conditions,accident free, no scratches, no special marks, no need for additional repairs what so ever,no engine problems and it has been garaged most of the time.I will include all receipts/paperwork along with the car. The price I'm after is 13700 sterling pounds, but I am also looking forward to sensible offers. The car can be delivered anywhere in the UK (delivery included in the sale price),as the car is now in overseas where I've moved recently. I have already arranged for shipping and UK delivery with a transport company here that will handle everything on my behalf. Please let me know if you're interested so I can provide you with further details.

Best regards

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We sold the Corsa through ebay sort of.

It was put on with no reserve but started the auction at the rock bottom price we would let it go for and put a buy it now at the ideal price we wanted.

We had a few people offer silly ammounts but also had 3 people want to view it (If they want to view they are more serious) and the first person that viewed it wanted it and paid the buy it now price as they wanted it there and then and not risk losing the car.

So there are good and bad seller/buyers on there.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I sold my car on ebay nearly 3 months ago, got pretty much what I wanted for it, even though it was advertised for £5,400 elsewhere I started the bids at £2000 and set the reserve for £5000. GOT £5,200

I was rather happy with the sale and think ebay is often a great tool for seling cars.
    I'm after another Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Apart from those mentioned above, ebay motors has a great deal of clapped out junkheaps that are not even worth selling on auto-trader.

The seller has an over-inflated opinion of the value of the car, and rants on about how great it is. Sometimes the seller will even say 'I dont know much about these old cars' etc etc.

That saying, there are a few good finds if you are after on old car to do up, I was looking at MK2 cortinas a while back.

However, I would rather stick with A-T.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep bought my astra on ebay - well...I found it on the bay, visited the owner with a small wad of cash and he said yes, so actually...I'm not sure if that means he was breaking the rules then selling it outside of the auction? Anyway! Didn't bid on the car without seeing and driving it, would rarely do that I think. But there are bargains to be had...still.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can pick up some barguin cars on ebay though mat

anyone rememeber the cheap mk1 mart got

Mothers with teenagers know why animals eat their young

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast