Thread: Looking for my first astra

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looking for my first astra

Hi, im new to the forum but have been browsing for quite a bit. Im currently searching for a MK4 Astra probably 1.6 and prefferably 3dr sxi.

Im looking in the £2000-3000 price range. Just a couple of questions.

1.What are the main differences between the 8v and 16v? (should I even bother to look at the 8v?)

2. I have been looking on fleBay and autotrader, is there anywhere else that's worth looking?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the main differences between the 8v and the 16v is the 16v's faster.

try looking around local car dealerships and also take a trip to a car supermarket and even an auction to try and grab yourself a bargain

HTH
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome to Astrasport and if your looking at a 1.6 it might be better going for the 16v, as my 1.4 is a better engine than the 1.6 8v

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've looked at my local supermarket (Car Giant) but everything seems a bit out of my price range.

Would getting a 99 T reg or slightly newer be advisable (I would be looking to keep it for about 4/5 years? Would it become uneconomical before then?

Also am I being too naive thinking I can get one for my budget?

I have also had a look at the vauxhall website under used cars, would they list cars they have taken in p/x or would it be a good idea to pop down to them and ask them face to face?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    The 16v is faster but not dramatically so because its heavier too. The 1.6 engine is a bit of a dog when it comes to modding so I'd look for a 1.8. But insurance wise its great little motor and actually very nippy too.

SXI is a great starting place mate. Plenty of mods to do and plenty of spec to it to.

Look out for cambelt change it states it in the book to do it at 80K when in actual fact it should be done at 40K and also the water pump should be changed.

Where abouts in the country are you?
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by munkie View Post
    welcome to Astrasport and if your looking at a 1.6 it might be better going for the 16v, as my 1.4 is a better engine than the 1.6 8v

Thanks. I was looking at the 1.6 becuse my insurance quotes between the 1.4 and 1.6 didnt really differ alot. This would be my second car. Im currently driving an old H reg Nissan 1.4, so I'm not rulling out the 1.4.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    The 16v is faster but not dramatically so because its heavier too. The 1.6 engine is a bit of a dog when it comes to modding so I'd look for a 1.8. But insurance wise its great little motor and actually very nippy too.

SXI is a great starting place mate. Plenty of mods to do and plenty of spec to it to.

Look out for cambelt change it states it in the book to do it at 80K when in actual fact it should be done at 40K and also the water pump should be changed.

Where abouts in the country are you?
    I'm not really looking into modding it too heavily (although I bet everyone says that at first )

I'm only 19 so insurance is quite a big deal for me. Im in West London.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi and welcome mate, have you had any insurance quotes for the 1.8 sxi yet?? I bet there wouldn't be much diffrent between the 1.6 and 1.8 insurance wise.
    Would open your search up a bit more
    Lowerd,tints, irmscher grill, irmscher back box and remus cs, courtney panel filter, veccy c mod, deristricted airbox

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    1.8 SXI will be much higher in insurance than a 1.6.

Yeah get the 1.6 you won't be dissapointed. It doesn't matter 8v or 16v they are both very good engines.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got the 1.6 16v myself, as im 19 insurance was high and still will be come renewal. If you are working full time and maybe have more money available for insurance then the 1.8 would be the better choice I think.

But the 1.6 16v is nice, not too bad on fuel (when working part time and a student its important )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast