Thread: why.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

why.....

... don't we have a system for catching drink drivers in the UK like they have out here in New Zealand?

Over here they have random police "road blocks" (usually in the evening/night and around urban centres) which require you to take a breathaliser before passing through. All it takes is about 10 seconds while they hold a device near your mouth and ask you to say your name and address... so it is a minimal inconvenience.

It just strikes me as an incredibly sensible thing to do, they must check hundreds of cars a night this way and it doesn't rely on either a police car spotting someone driving a little wonky or breathalising the person after they have crashed into a tree, or worse some innocent person. The resources it requires are pretty minimal too, just a few orange cones and two police officers.

So, why don't we do it?
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Because the uptight brits would all complain as they have 'more important places to be'.

Plus our bumbling police force probably wouldn't be able to cope with it without messing something up or just causing general traffic chaos.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wouldn't that mean them standing out in the cold?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats too much work for the police, all the police patrol cars round my way just find a place to park up and just sit there until they see a modded car, good knows how many time i have been pulled, but never find a thing wrong with me or my astra

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    If they were to stand outside checking every cazr they'd never get to eat their doughnuts!

Sounds like a sensible suggestion but as said we probably don't have the resources.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy View Post
    If they were to stand outside checking every cazr they'd never get to eat their doughnuts!

Sounds like a sensible suggestion but as said we probably don't have the resources.
    What, a few cones and a spare couple of hours?

In our local paper today theres a 4 page supplement on the police, and it gave their figures for money spent, overall 4 or 5 categories, first one - preventing crime - money spent? 8% of the total. Shocking, it really is.

Should definitely be parked up breathalising people on a friday night, as opposed to standing about waiting for fights.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Problem is there are usually several exits out of cities and towns, therefore meaning they would have to have a road block on every exit, of every town/city...that's a lot of coppers. And if they had road blocks in certain areas, people would just find out and drive another way out of the area.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not necessarily, they're random stops so they could be anywhere. and many town centres operate one way systems so it would be easier then you think. Although if someone is determined to drink and drive they'll avoid them easy enough, but people who consider 'just having another one' when they're driving will definitely be made to reconsider.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    It wouldn't matter how many entrances/exits to be honest, it would be same principle as the speed camera vans, IE you don't know where they are until you get to them. If they moved around every so often they wouldn't get people avoiding them by looking for different routes..

EDIT - beaten to it by RoyalWithCheese
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalWithCheez View Post
    What, a few cones and a spare couple of hours?
    I was thinking more of the man power. The cops always reckon they're short of time, probably because there is too much paperwork involved in todays policing.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast