Thread: Weird Rattling Noise

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Weird Rattling Noise

Hi, i own a '06 Astra 1.8 Auto... For starters my car is LHD..
    When i accelerate i start to hear a faint (zzz..zz) rattling noise from the right front wheel, the noise fades away as i speed... I knew that the noise is not from the engine but im afraid it might be from the Transmission or something??..

did anyone else experience this in this Mk5. Astra??

Status
    HID + LED Guru
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a slight ZZZZ..ZZ rattling noise from my car when it was ticking over from the front right wheel area!
    don't know what it is but took it to my Vx Dealer to get it fixed but at no avail.

Steve
    Astra VXD
    rburgring - 10:55

Scottish Region

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i guess its not that serious since your astra also has that noise also... could be a recall??? The prob. is im not having the time 2 get 2 my Opel Dealer... ill try 2 get it done next week & i hope they wont stir excuses that its not covered by the warranty...

cheers mate..

Status
    HID + LED Guru
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool, let us know what they find or do

Steve
    Astra VXD

Scottish Region

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi WSF

I also have an Astra 1.8 auto LHD, it's a Twintop and I only got in Feb this year.

I often hear a kind of rattling/vibration/grating/scraping noise (ie not good!) when I am pulling away or else when going up a steep slope at low-ish speeds. I wouldn't say it was coming from the right wheel though, it sounds closer to me (sat on the left) but definitely coming from the front of the car. The loundness varies according to the situation, sometimes it is loud, othertimes less so, but my ears are tuned into listening for it now.

How do you know it is the right front wheel?

I went to the Opel dealer today with this problem and another one, supposedly they "changed the computer" or something (I didn't quite understand, I am a Brit living in France), but on setting off on my way home I heard it once more so not feeling too happy about it.

My other issue, perhaps you might have some experience with your Auto, is the "Sport" mode. I am really not sure how it is supposed to work, but I can't believe what I have is normal - it is not usable in my opinion! Basically in "Sport" mode, the car stays in first gear up to 5500 rpm (I can be going close to 70 kph at this stage), and then 2nd gear thereafter. I dare not keep it going to see when it next changes, the engine is screaming and the fuel consumption computer is reading something alarming. In addition, the car feels "mad" rather than sporty. But after the "computer change" today this still seems to be the same, so perhaps I will just give up on this feature?

BTW, my first post on this forum. sorry it is a problem but it might be similar to what you have. Any update on your situation?
    Richard

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    can't help with this per se, however welcome to the site Richard, if you say hello in Chit Chat you will get a better welcome.

if the noises you say are coming from the arches, have you had things like wheel bearings/track rod arms etc checked? Just a thought as well, its not when you are turning is it?! sounds obvious but it could be the power steering and if it is it's perfectly normal!
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    HID + LED Guru
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Richard, welcome to the site

Wish a could help you on that one but, some deprived people e.g. me have not got a sport facility lol

But back to the rattling thing i hear it when the car is just ticking over sometimes when its cold sometimes when its hot..

I took it to my Local VX dealer and they never said they had fixed it or not but i just oresumed they did but guess what... yeah its still there.

I dont hear it as much now because i'm used to it but since i got my wheels changed i can't remember when the last time i hear it??

That could be a solution.

Steve

HTH
    Astra VXD

Scottish Region

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Seems like several astra Hs had this problem b4 me.. i went 2 my dealer; he told me that its most likely from the brakes.. i ddnt get that exactly but im sending it in by this weekend... the dealer wasnt surprised & he told me that the problem was from "them"... i hope they wont spend time guessing with my ride...
    Also a new thing came out im my ride.. im starting 2 hear the suspensions on the right squeaking... This is the 1st Opel i ever bought so i dont know if thats natural in opels or sumthin???

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the feedback.

It might be because I was about to get all worked up and go back again with the rattle, that in the past few days I can't say I have heard it. I don't believe that changing the computer software would have fixed it, but I think until it starts again, I just have to stop worrying and enjoy driving my car.

But would be interested to hear if your brakes are the culprit.
    To be clear, I only got my rattle when putting the car under "stress" at low speeds (pulling away up a slope etc).

But I am beginning to think about the wheels more as a result of what you both have been saying, particularly since (some more bad luck) I had some slight kerb damage to the rim of my right front wheel (my nice 18" alloys!) about the same time I started to first notice the problem.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, i have a mk4 astra 1.8 16v astra sxi and i have the same noise, i am not completely sure but it hae a good idear whatit is and i am going to find out for sure the weekend, i have been told by a few people that if your astra has a alternator belt tensioner, it is proberly that cuz inside it, it has ball bearings and when thay start to break away it will start making a ratling metal sound, thats proberly why you can hear it coming from near the drivers side front wheen cuz thats where it is. hope this helps and i will let you know when have changed it on the weekend. cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast