Thread: Ipod connection

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ipod connection

Ok, I have 30 something GB of music on my PC, I want to keep them all in my car and have quick access to them (sick off messing about with CD's!).

So, I want to know what my options are. I have an Alpine CDA-9847R, I know i can get the ipod interface unit, but that will involve a lot of messing about transfering music etc, and not to mention I'l have to buy an ipod, lol

Cheers

Woz

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ipods gonna be one of the easiest ways....and you still get to use the thing elsewhere...

You're saying it's hassle...do you want to just plug your PC into the car and off you go !

Another method you could look into is an external USB hard drive, and new Pioneer head unit that will read 30gbs no problems.

Pioneer DEHP7900UB

Good review here:
    http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=212698

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    LOL, well i couldn't find anywhere to plug it in! I thought about external HDD, but then thought about how to power it. I think all in all an ipod is the best way to go, I hate Apple proucts, and will the head unit read .acc? Do mp3 and wma files work ok on an ipod?, will the alpine ipod interface unit work with other mp3 players?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woz9 View Post
    LOL, well i couldn't find anywhere to plug it in! I thought about external HDD, but then thought about how to power it. I think all in all an ipod is the best way to go, I hate Apple proucts, and will the head unit read .acc? Do mp3 and wma files work ok on an ipod?, will the alpine ipod interface unit work with other mp3 players?
    I too hate apple but the ipod is the best way.
    Yes aac is supported (or i thing so because my perchased music works.)
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    I have a Creative MP3 jukebox (essentially a portable harddrive)... mine holds 60Gb so you would fit all your music on it with plenty of room for more! Basically what I'm saying is, if you don't like Apple, then there's still other options available to you!

EDIT - mine powers from a 12v feed as well I added a cigar plug behind the dash and ran the cable through to the 2nd DIN slot/cubby hole tray...
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    With the Alpines you can go either route namely USB (HD or any other MP3/MP4 player) or Ipod as they make adapters for both so the choice is yours really. Personally the Ipod setup works better IMHO as you get better control and to top it all off you get the standard as regards to MP3 players. Or should I say the benchmark against what all others are measured.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woz9 View Post
    Nope, WMA files don't work on an iPod, unless they have recently updated them?

Have you thought about a DVD H/U, could fit 5gb of songs onto a disc, although its not your whole collection you won't be doing much swapping of discs + saves wiring up a HDD.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle247 View Post
    Nope, WMA files don't work on an iPod, unless they have recently updated them?

Have you thought about a DVD H/U, could fit 5gb of songs onto a disc, although its not your whole collection you won't be doing much swapping of discs + saves wiring up a HDD.
    Opps didn't see the wma bit but as i never use WMA i never botherd to check. but dont wma work on cd format?
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJB2K3 View Post
    Opps didn't see the wma bit but as i never use WMA i never botherd to check. but dont wma work on cd format?
    Depends, some H/U's are WMA compatible some aren't. Most MP3 H/U's are also WMA.