Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.8 Astra coupe questions

Hey guys, first post here so be gentle.

Im looking at getting a 2001 1.8 Astra coupe and just wanted to know a few things.

What are the 0-60 figures for the 1.8? What tends to break/blow up on them? How comfortable are they for long journeys? On test drives what should I look for?

Cheers guys for any help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome matey, the 1.8 is a nice engine, long journeys are comfortable and they dont tend to break, just make sure if its done more than say 35k, the timing belt has been changed or have it changed.
    Test drives, look out for any colour smoke out of the back, and noisy engines, thats about it i think, someone else will give you more probabaly.
    SOLD Slightly tickled 175.9bhp 2.2 SE2 on 19" vxr's..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very comfy IMO. I can easy rack up any miles with no problems.

As has been mentioned, look for smoke, timing belt (and service history) and also make sure the car drives straight and brakes nice and straight. Check any rattles, wobbles and squeaks and make sure and HPI the car! It is well worth the £40 to save buying a potential lemon.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whats the 0-60 time for the 1.8 then? about 8.5 seconds? Does £4.5k for a 2000 Xreg 1.8 with 66k on the clock sound reasonable then for this type of car then?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Engine Size 1796 cc
    Cylinders 4
    0-60 mph 8.5 s
    Power Output 123 bhp
    Valves 16
    Torque 170 Nm 125 lb-ft
    Top Speed 130 mph
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That price seems a little high. Check out www.auto-trader.co.uk, loads of nice coupes on there for sale.

1.8 is fairly quick for its size but needs to be worked hard. Power ban os between 3.5 - 6k IMO. Best engine to go for for blend of performance and economy.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you thought about the 2.2? Much better engine in my opinion (I guess I am biased tho)... very much a good mix of performance + economy - recently got 405 miles out of a full tank on a journey from London to Warrington + back... cruise was set to 75mph but had some fun on the M6 Toll.

You dont have to worry about expensive cambelt changes as its chain driven. If its a 2001+ model and its been serviced regularily then you wont have to worry about the chain as it should last the life of the engine.

Will be selling mine in the next month or so if your interested ;-)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2001 2.2 & I looked @ a 1.8 also. TBH I don't think there is much diff in top speed book figures. The insurance was very similar for me on either.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d_ghedia View Post
    Have you thought about the 2.2? Much better engine in my opinion (I guess I am biased tho)... very much a good mix of performance + economy - recently got 405 miles out of a full tank on a journey from London to Warrington + back... cruise was set to 75mph but had some fun on the M6 Toll.

You dont have to worry about expensive cambelt changes as its chain driven. If its a 2001+ model and its been serviced regularily then you wont have to worry about the chain as it should last the life of the engine.

Will be selling mine in the next month or so if your interested ;-)
    its not worth going for a 2.2 over the z18xe because the tax is higher the insurance is higher, there is not enough difference in performance to justify the extra cost on insurance and tax plus mpg. if you want a step up from the z18xe go for the 1.9 cdti 150bhp its the same insurence group as the 2.2 cheaper tax i think , faster and better on fuel.

mind you you cant get it in the coupe bummer what about astra sport hatch?
    coupe 1.8 played with 162bhp and 139.7lbs/ft of torque on tap

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used to love my 1.8 Coupe only swapped as i had chance to go for the 888. I had ago against a mate in 2.2 coupe and that was the better engine.

I miss the boot space i used to have and its not been registered since i sold so may have been broken for parts

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast