Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lumpy idle

Hi all,

Any help on this problem would be much appreciated, it's driving me and a fair few others mental!!
    Right then, here goes.............................................
    I have a 51 plate Astra Coupe SE1 2.2.
    I had it in for a cam chain change around 18 months ago (under a recall), car went in fine, work was done, but when I picked it up, I was told it was running 'a little lumpy'. I never thought anything of it at the time as they told me it would clear up (why did I believe them )
    I should have returned the car, but at that time I was in no position to do so, so I just put up with it.
    The car runs fine for the first 3-4 minutes after starting, then the lumpiness begins. Under load the engine is perfect, no lumpiness at all. If I sit at idle and hold the revs at 1000 the lumpiness disappears as well. The car has stalled on the odd occasion if left idling .
    I have just recently had the car in at a local garage and they have absolutely no idea what is wrong! They sent the car to a Vauxhall dealer who had it for 4 weeks and couldn't fathom the problem either.
    I have read the sticky on the forums, but believe what is mentioned there has already been done. I don't have a full breakdown of all the work carried out but what I do know is.............

Throttle body inspected/cleaned
    EGR valve replaced
    Numerous sensors replaced (seems like all of them!!!)
    Inlet manifold gasket replaced
    2 different ECU's tried

No faults are showing on the diagnostic machine either. Vauxhall stated their next step was to remove the head!
    All this has happened after the cam chain change, the car was perfect beforehand.

Sorry for the long post!
    Any input greatly appreciated.

Stu

ps I've been told the timing is correct, but not sure they actually did check?

Status
    Supporting Trader
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    our se2 does that and was told that its a clog around the throttle body area but because its a sealed unit you have to purchase the whole lot.

It hasn't cut out tho and cause I don't drive it that much it doesn't bother me.
    www.kandkonline.co.uk
    For all your styling needs at competitive prices.
    Check out our Forum for Lottery Details!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats the same thing I was told and the first thing to be checked.
    I actually checked it myself this afternoon and found it clean as a whistle.
    If yours is doing the same I'd recommend giving yours a clean, dead easy to do and takes very little time.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 1.8 astra, i replaced the cam belt myself and i still don't know how i was a tooth out in the timing but it was, one tooth advanced to be exact, the symptom was the engine sounded harsh and the idle was erratic or hunting but it was ok to drive, i drove it for a week like this before i took it apart again. If you have been told the timing is correct then it is up to you, maybe get another opinion from another mechanic, hope i was some help.