Thread: Can someone please list what I need to run 2 headunits?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Can someone please list what I need to run 2 headunits?

Hi all

I want to get this:

I have a Siemens NCDR 1100.

I would like to use steering wheel controls with the blaupunkt. I don't want to use controls for the Siemens but still want to use the satnav in it so I would like the screen to display on the MFD.

What do I need?

Thx
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    If it's even possible look in the sitcky at the top of this forum for steering wheel controls. Cutting and butting of the wires will be needed i'm sure to take the steering wheel controls away from the factory headunit
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    not sure if i understand entirely what you mean, do you mean running two independantly with each having their own outputs going to the speakers? or do you mean running one through the other (which would be easiest)

Regardless of how you do it, to run two h/u's you will need 2 permanent 12v feeds, 2 "switched"/ignition 12v feeds, and 2 earth/ground connections. You could splice into the existing wires as Andy says, but equally you could take the feeds from elsewhere.

If you plan on running both and having sound fed from one to the other then you will need to make sure the source (i.e. the one with the disc in) has a pre-out, and the other unit (which is connected to the speakers) has an Auxiliary input (phono leads input would be easiest)

I've done this before in a couple of cars and will shortly be fitting a 2nd headunit (DVD) to mine, running through my existing cd h/u for its sound processing capabilities. I will then be able to hook up my mp3 player, a DVD player, AND another removable (external) source (my laptop) all at the same time.

Although it may get done sooner, I expect it will be sometime after PVS that this will all be revealed with my new centre console & screen... watch for the "how-to"

as for the steering controls, I'm not sure if the sticky thread includes the newer ranges, your best bet is to email autoleads/connects2 or Blaupunkt and ask if they know of anything available or in the pipeline... TBH I would sell the siemens and use the money raised to go with the money you would spend on the blaupunkt, and then get a single unit that includes sat nav and audiocontrol/mfd connectivity...
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First thing you need to do is to figure out what the wires mean in the steering control/MFD connector.

Then you need to isolate the steering control wires from the connector and check if the NCDR1100 is happy with only MFD connected - my guess is it might not.

Then you will need to consider...
    - Aerial, splitting it will degrade the signal a lot! And is the GPS aerial integrated to it?
    - In/Out, the NCDR1100 has no line-in, no line-out, so it cannot be connected to the MP27. The options could be buying a dedicated centre speaker for NCDR1100 with no other speakers connected, or dedicate the rear channel speakers to the NCDR1100.
    - Wiring, as Mr. Sparky said there is going to be a lot of cutting and butting required!

By the way does the MP27 support steering wheel control anyway?!

EDIT: Damn sorry I am blind, thats an MP47 not MP27!
    Astra Coupe Turbo Project Log KW var2, BK299, Apexi, HID, Angel, Leather Cobra, Phoenix Gold, GT/R2, Fluted, DV26D, Pre/Sports/Catback, CarPC, B&M, VXR Turbo, Tarox-10, Phase 3! Car is for sale!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I intend to have the nav from the siemens coming through aux in from the head unit.

is there anyway of splicing the speaker out wires into phone inputs for the headunit?
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haulme View Post

is there anyway of splicing the speaker out wires into phone inputs for the headunit?
    A speaker to RCA adaptor is what you need
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason