Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook

Question Is it Cambelt time or not?

My Zafira was registered in June 2003 so it will be four years old next month however it has only done 24,000 ish miles so do I really need to have it done or can I wait until I've hit 40,000. Also how much do you think the kit and fitting it would cost. The engine has a full service every year and oil change every six months, it's a Z16XE.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The service interval for the cambelt and associated parts (ie tensioner, rollers, waterpump) is 4years or 40,000 miles so even though its a low mileage example it really should be done - if only for peace of mind.

Cost wise - nothing major!

Youve got a few options - the best being contact Autovaux www.autovaux.co.uk and source a full genuine cambelt kit for your vehicle - and the waterpump if they stock it - if not then Vauxhall (even better if u can get trade or know someone who can) ....and have it all fitted either at Vauxhall if ur feeling flush or a local independent garage who could have upto 50% of the labour costs of the dealers and will probs do a far better job.

OR book it into Vx and let them source/fit everything and rip u off like the robbing b*stards that they are!!!

The choice - as they say is yours

HTH

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just had my cambelt - tensioners, widgets and wotnots replaced by a Vauxhall dealer - £35 for the cambelt kit, £75 to fit, VAT - total £133.

Yes you can do it youself for next to bugger all - but I just can't be bothered nowadays - easier to drop the car off and pick it up at the end of the day.

My car had done 65k - cambelt not changed at 40 I suspect, but given that I do a fair bit of motorway mileage - thought I had stretched my luck as far as I could.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.