Thread: Driveshaft wont come away from hub...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Driveshaft wont come away from hub...

Really really struggling here with getting the driveshaft away from the hub.

Done the drivers side no problem, but the passenger side is seriously stuck!

Tried levering it with a crowbar - no good
    Tried hitting/tapping it with a sledgehammer, no good
    tried 2 hub pullers - no good (the first time, the rods/bolts snapped off, got some stronger ones, they haven't snapped but now the center bolt that feeds through the hub puller has rounded off the so we cant tighten it anymore.

Tried heating it up - no good

Im sort of stuck here, any ideas whatso ever?
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If it's that stuck you can't do much more than you've tried, the way i do it when they like this is to put the hydraulic on first and crank that up tight as poss, then heat around the splines down the centre of the hub and then with a drift smack the cv joint at the rear and keep turning it and doing this and you usually find they will eventually start to move
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techsteve View Post
    If it's that stuck you can't do much more than you've tried, the way i do it when they like this is to put the hydraulic on first and crank that up tight as poss, then heat around the splines down the centre of the hub and then with a drift smack the cv joint at the rear and keep turning it and doing this and you usually find they will eventually start to move
    i get what you mean mate, apart from the bit it bold ^ above, can you just clarify please, cheers for the reply
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    hydraulic puller on pull it tight as poss, then heat it up a blow torch on the shaft then HIT the Shaft with a Big bit of wood an a Hammer "big one"

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That'll refer to your hub puller
    Just the name i use, our one at work is pretty heavy duty, the legs attach to the wheel bolts/studs, then you screw the centre down till it touches the end of the shaft, then start to crank up the hydraulics, apply heat if required, and as i said use a drift onto the joint, just something i tried one time when i had a seriously stuck one and it did eventually let go, hitting the drift on the back tends to jolt it out ( can be slowly still )
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for the advice, will try again tomorrow

more cuts and bruises coming up, but cant fit my new engine til i sort this out

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Finally, after all that time, and 2 an a half hrs in the tipping down rain, it came out, woooooooooooooooooot lol

Method.

New hub puller, strengthened center bolt, strengthened rods (2) through the hub, strengthened bolts(3) to go through the wheel bolt holes, heated the sides of the hub up excessively...

then tightened, stupidly tight, but it finally cracked!

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well done !...can you remember what you wanted it off for !!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coo View Post
    well done !...can you remember what you wanted it off for !!!
    lol! no

its been so long since i began working on that part of the car, i dunno where to start next