Thread: Nasty Noise

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nasty Noise

There is a horrible rattling noise when you rev the engine/driving along the road in high revs when the engine is cold, and theres quite a bit of steam/smoke coming from the exaust. When its at normal temp, seems to sort of dissappear. Any one have any ideas?

Unsure of the acutal engine name, but its in a mk4 1.416v.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You checked the CAT? sounds like it may be breaking up.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

noise is now when it is idle or whilst driving. taken it to the garage, and they believe that the cam belt was not changed at 40,000. car is now on 64,000. could this do any damage???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    unless the belt lets go. no.... well not really.

In a farsical world it could stretch and slip the timing out far enough to let the valves touch the pistons, BUT thats one hell of a lot of stretch and less likely to happen.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The cam belt doesn't have to break to cause damage, I had one which shed a lot of it's teeth, luckily I had an engine where the valves didn't kiss the pistons so I got away with it, this is not the case with the Astra engine.

Get the belt changed asap, fit a new water pump as well as the noise could well be the pump breaking up.

Don't wait, do it now. Bill for a cam belt breaking is enormous.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    car is in the garage now. hoping it will be back by this evening. Anybody had this done before? Anyone know how much i could be looking at paying?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    MIne cost me £65 inc parts but I did it myself average is around £200. You should have asked for a price beforehand or they can take advantage of your ignorance.