Thread: my car is broken

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

my car is broken

just as i turned into work my range rover p38 2.5dse was gutless and i thought mabe it was the injector fault coming up again, so i looked down onto the dash to see the temp in the red, i didnt even get the opportunity to pull off the road before it made the biggest bang you have ever heard and covered the whole area in steam.
    giving it a few mins to clear i plucked up the courage to look under the bonet to discover the top of the radiator split in half right from left to right, i was gobsmacked, i have never seen anything like this ever.
    can anyone reccomend to me where the cheepest place to get new pipes and radiator would be and what i should be looking for in terms of other damage? ie head gasket?? how would i spot this?
    bad start to the day i feel.
    cheers
    learning the hard way

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    errr...bummer...
    Well although I dont know for certain....

I would have thought if the radiator burst before the head gasket, you may be in luck !
    ...or on the other hand maybe not, especially if there was a blockage to result in the pressure being built up in the rad instead of the head...

As for parts...dunno ... Google:
    http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/
    www.land-rover-parts-shop.com
    http://www.famousfour.co.uk/

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coo View Post
    errr...bummer...
    Well although I dont know for certain....

I would have thought if the radiator burst before the head gasket, you may be in luck !
    ...or on the other hand maybe not, especially if there was a blockage to result in the pressure being built up in the rad instead of the head...

As for parts...dunno ... Google:
    http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/
    www.land-rover-parts-shop.com
    http://www.famousfour.co.uk/
    cheers coo,
    i have just had a look now and i can see a split pipe on the return side of the rad so im thinking this would have been the cause. im just going to leave it now for a day before i do anything with it, im told its a bitch of a job to do so will have to be done when i have got a bit more time on my hands. im waiting on a few companies to call me back regarding prices but im expecting nothing less than £150 will be quoted.

concidering returning back to an astra
    learning the hard way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How far into the red was it? Thats the only real thing that would worry me tbh, it maybe just the rads funked, but if its been in the red for a long time Id worry. Stick a rad in it and try from there.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it was right into the red when i noticed it and i only noticed it due to a lack of power making me look down so how long it had been like it i have no idea....i pulled over immidieatly and before i could turn the engine off it went bang, which was the rad exploding, mabe a thermostat fault? i hope its not the head gasket
    learning the hard way