Thread: Expensive but funny

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up Expensive but funny

right the story... i own a vauxhall astra mk4 1.4 first car etc basically i blew 3 valves and tappets and got it through an MOT now and fixed the problem then run into another snag decided to be a ***** and rev it rathr hard i have now blown more valves and screwed the big end bearing however as the car only has 50000 on the clock then is it worth fixing and how much work is involved any comments welcome thank adam

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    blah mate, you should have got a cheap car to rag the **** out of. then got the astra once youve gone out of that stage as theyre nice cars. live and learn i guess, best thing to do is get a mechanic to quote you

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it will be cheaper buying a recon engine, it cost me 800 to replace 8 valves and a water pump

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get an engine off e-gay...at least one of the smaller 1.4's should be fairly cheap to get hold of compared to a zlet or something. Either that or buy a whole cylinder head second hand and do the big end bearings yourself...not cheap either way buddy.
    X20XEV Gsi Now sold but now have a Corsa GSi C20XE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    With that amount of damage, as said a new/recon engine is the way to go, the vauxhall recon lumps are good value believe it or not. If the cars clean and tidy then it's worth doing it properly.
    And as also said, learn to drive a bit more sensibly, cars are'nt built for serious abuse without giving problems
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for the input guys i only have to pay for parts as a family member is a mechanic parts or new engine?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    also guys urm am not completely sure that it is the big ends however there is a rattle coming from the bottom of the engine but is only noticeable once the engine has warm up or when it is revved have read in another forum that there could be a problem with cambelt tensioner???? also the cylinder head is now sorted all valves are replaced

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If its been ragged a bit, then prob big end bearings...the big end bearings lie between the con-rods and the crankshaft. Also at either end are the crankshaft main bearings. The little end bearings sit between the con-rods and the piston gudgeon pins.
    Knocking at the bottom end is pretty much an engine rebuild mate...i would seriously look at a low milage lump from a breakers yard or e-bay as it will be a lot less work to install. Seriously though...if your gonna give it stick change gear at least 1000rpm before the redline and only if the engine is warm. Ragging an engine from cold will kill it real fast as oil only works properly once it is warm and circulated properly and the parts are all moving freely. Even an astra VXR will end up with problems if its mistreated.
    X20XEV Gsi Now sold but now have a Corsa GSi C20XE