Thread: new to this turbo game

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

new to this turbo game

IM currently on the look out for an astra GSi and would like to know what i need to look out for when buying the car.
    Here is what I am currently taking into account in the search

1: As with other sports varients FSH is a must, performance engines are driven hard and need to be taken care of in turn

2: Im led to beleive the Turbos Life is limited to about 40,000 before it needs replaced. All the models i am looking at seem to be about this mark, Is my assumption right and how much is it likely to cost to replace (or would it be better to maybe pop to Courteney for a VXR one for £490ish hehe)

3: The Exhaust manifold is poop. Cracking is common. On this subject, on my old SiR2 I wrapped the manifold with manifold tape. Would this cover any cracks? On the Civic, I just did it to lower engine bay temps but it could help the cracks no?

4: Last thing is I am taking into account, is that you guys are the experts so tell me what i need to know :P

Thanks in advance

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1: As with other sports varients FSH is a must, performance engines are driven hard and need to be taken care of in turn
    Definately!

2: Im led to beleive the Turbos Life is limited to about 40,000 before it needs replaced. All the models i am looking at seem to be about this mark, Is my assumption right and how much is it likely to cost to replace (or would it be better to maybe pop to Courteney for a VXR one for £490ish hehe)
    Some may last until 100,000 and some not. Depends how lucky you are and how well looked after the turbo is. Turbo plus full fitting kit is about £510 you can either do this yourself or pay possibly up to £250 for labour.

3: The Exhaust manifold is poop. Cracking is common. On this subject, on my old SiR2 I wrapped the manifold with manifold tape. Would this cover any cracks? On the Civic, I just did it to lower engine bay temps but it could help the cracks no?
    Don't wrap the manifold on a GSI as it will definately crack!! You can wrap the exhaust when you fit the pre cat replacement pipe to lower engine bay temps.

4: Last thing is I am taking into account, is that you guys are the experts so tell me what i need to know :P
    Just look for a low milage good one with some extras... Your know it when you find it, mine had sun roof, climate control and reverse park sensors, 19,000 miles and a lady owner.
    Arden Astra GSI - Phase 3.5

EDS Phase 3.5 288 BHP 340 FT/LB

Inlet cam and Dbilas manifold.