Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

Scangauge Compatability

As you may or may not have guessed from the title of the thread, I would like to know if anyone can tell me if a Scangauge will work with my 1999 Astra Estate (X20DTL).

It has the OBD2 port under the handbrake, however I read in here that certain X prefix engines aren't OBD2 compliant and therefore Scangauge won't run..

I have just bought one of these off ebay as I want a trip computer, and so to have stumbled across a thread saying it won't work has pee'd me off a bit to tell the truth, as I was under the impression (from another thread on here ) that VX introduced OBD2 compatibility across the board in 1998.

any help please would be gratefully received
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a feeling that you need a Y20DTL/DTH to be OBD2 compatible, which means you'd need a MY01 or later. In model year 01 they gave the Mk4 a bit of a technical facelift with new engines, bigger wheels etc, and also included OBD2 compatibility on the diesels.

I know for a fact that it'll work OK on a post MY01 car, but I think you're probably out of luck with yours.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

Unhappy bloody typical...

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh dear...

this is why i posted about the compatibility thing in the main forums as soon as i found out. didnt want anyone to feel like that.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    yeah it was your thread I saw...

The thing is supposed to turn up today as well they reckon, so I'm going to have a cracking bit of kit in front of me, just what I want, bu it won't bloody work with mine...

I guess I have two options then... sell the scangauge on, or sell the car and buy one that it will work with

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol

second one is a tad extreme just for a £100 piece of kit

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

yeah but i don't know any other way of getting a trip computer and a diagnostic code check in my car!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think it'll work. The only problem with trying it is you have to open the box and thus redcue it's 2nd hand value.

I recon you could get 99% of your money back.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sell it on here and ebay pal if it don't work. There will be lots of bids as they come from greece if you buy them from the retailer! Mine took bloody ages to come, partly due to paypal taking a while.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    slight update...

received the scangauge on Thursday after the PO decided not to deliver it but stuck a card through the door instead. Ridiculous as I was there at the time ready to sign for it...

Having had about 5 mins of playing with it, it appears that certain fuctions work ok with my engine

The functions I've found so far that work ok are Volts MPH RPM MPG/MPL Water Temp and Engine Load. Thus far I haven't been able to check for fault codes, as typically the EML on mine - thats been illuminated on & off for three weeks - has now decided not to come on anymore (not sure if this is a good or bad thing! )

So, with half the functions tested and working, does this mean I may be ok for the rest, or is it just the Code Reading that requires OBD2 compliance?

Obviously I am aware that OBD stands for On Board Diagnostics, so it would be a fair assumption to make that it is just the error code scanning that I won't be able to utilise?

any ideas folks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast