Thread: Rattling - shocks, bearings or other?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rattling - shocks, bearings or other?

Ive got a rattling sound coming from the rear suspension area when driving over bumps and pot hols. It honesly sounds like a tin can full of old nails but im not sure what it is - could it be the shocks, bearings or something else?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I get that, but it's the shocks are faulty (the top bushing is moving on the bolt). The rear suspension on the Astra can be noisy, but there's really only two things that it can be - shocks or a broken spring. Bearings are unlikely, but easy to check by jacking the car and giving the wheel a good wiggle.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i also have that, my car is a 1.8 16v sport (199, it turns out that its my brake pad moving in the caliper, apparently it needs a brake fitting kit or something along those lines, really annoying, safe to drive though. if you jiggle the wheel while its off the ground with handbrake off (preferably without wheel on) then you can see the pad actually moving.
    1.8 16V Astra Sport

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS View Post
    I get that, but it's the shocks are faulty (the top bushing is moving on the bolt). The rear suspension on the Astra can be noisy, but there's really only two things that it can be - shocks or a broken spring. Bearings are unlikely, but easy to check by jacking the car and giving the wheel a good wiggle.
    The springs are relatively new (1 year old) so I think they're ok. Must be the shocks then as the wheel doesnt 'wiggle'.

Do you suggest that I just replace the rear shocks? (just been quoted £40.15 ea from vxl) what about bushes? and ARB links?