Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is it worth it?

Hey,
    First of all I'd like to apologise, I introduced myself about 3 months ago and have not been on here since really. Had alot going on.
    I own a 1999 1.6 sxi. There is so much going wrong with the car I wanted some opinions on whether its worth me spending the money on it or trading in for something esle
    Firstly the car has done 109k, and here is a list of things I need to do.

1. Drivers seat needs replacing, very dangerous I prob shouldnt be driving it.
    2. Steering is very heavy and pulls, tyres are fine.
    3. It randomly decides to over rev or die without me touching anything, no idea what that is about.
    4. Getting into the engine is a mission as the bonnet catch is broke, I know that wont be to much to fix.
    5. Air bag fault light is constantly on.
    6. Something sounds loose in the engine, constant vibration and ratteling sounds.
    7. The car vibrates like crazy as soon as I hit 70mph.
    8. Last but not least, as I found out yesterday on the way to see spider man 3..good film by the way, a pheasant decided it was time to end its life and as a i broke hard my back end nearly over took me... im guessing thats to do with my ABS as my brakes have never been brilliant anyway.

All this needs looking into as up until now I have not had the time or the money. Im just wondering If you think it would be worth spending alot on this car if it needs it? As after all thats done I want to start spending money on it for fun stuff
    Do you think i'd be better off getting something newer with fewer miles? Even with its problems it has always got me from A to B, so I have grown attached to it. I cant decide.....

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellysxi View Post
    this leads me to think your tracking and balancing need looking at.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1. Drivers seat needs replacing, very dangerous I prob shouldnt be driving it.
    These are cheap as anything nowdays, £40 a pair iirc.

sounds like the power steering is playing up, if it unassisted heavy or just heavier than normal?

3. It randomly decides to over rev or die without me touching anything, no idea what that is about.

sorry havent a clue about this one, may be youir idle control valve?
    4. Getting into the engine is a mission as the bonnet catch is broke, I know that wont be to much to fix.

this will be cheap as you say, short trip to vxl for the parts
    5. Air bag fault light is constantly on.

this could be something to do with your driver seat. these seats have airbag connectors plugged into them for the seat belt tensioners. look under your seat there should be a multi connector plug. check to see that is connected. failing that the new seats you will be getting should cure this.
    6. Something sounds loose in the engine, constant vibration and ratteling sounds.
    The only thing i can say about this is just have a good look under the engine when it is running. see what coulkd possibley getting in the way or catching, i would reccomending looking on the left hand side (drivers side of the engine as this has a lot of moving parts. particaular check the belt areas. failing that check the engine mounts as one of them may have gone especially on a car with soo many miles.

This is quite normal, get your tracking done (possibly alignment) and check that all your wheels and tyres are balanced. all this is is the resonance of the vibrating parts coming together to produce a large effect at a certain speed.
    8. Last but not least, as I found out yesterday on the way to see spider man 3..good film by the way, a pheasant decided it was time to end its life and as a i broke hard my back end nearly over took me... im guessing thats to do with my ABS as my brakes have never been brilliant anyway.

My sxi does this. i think the back end is quite light and yes the car will step out especially with drums which you will have as i do and with no abs this is common.
    make sure your brakes are all tip top and check the rear drums for wear, maybe replace the shoes.

My opinion is that with a little love and attention she will be a fine runner as long as there are no really serious problems lying undereath. the most worrying i think is the random cutting out of the engine. this you should perhaps get a professional to look at.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, thats what I thought. But that screams money at me if it needs correcting.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Look at it this way though ....

If you dont fix these problems, it'll be harder to sell the car .

So if you egt done what you can, you may enjoy it more and end up keeping it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coo View Post
    Look at it this way though ....

If you dont fix these problems, it'll be harder to sell the car .

So if you egt done what you can, you may enjoy it more and end up keeping it
    Very true. The car is on good old HP, so I can only trade in really anyway. Would be good to get a better trade in for her... or as you said end up enjoying her more.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey

Keep the faith, you will find alot of the mechanical problems are fairly easy to fix, vauxhall is renowned for good old fasioned engineering so if you just follow some of the simple helpers that the guys have posted i am sure you will solve them, if your anywhere near luton then give me a shout, will have a look at your car for ya

thing a lot of your problems are down to tracking and balancing and alignment, think you will find if you get all that sorted them your drivability probs will be sorted, as for cutting out def worth cleaning the idle control valve out, if your not to sure how to do this then give me a shout as it is fairly easy.

keep with it, i am sure you will be able to sort it, but if you do decide to get a newer car then there are some great models of astras out there

D
    Coupe Turbo in Europa Blue "Yum Yum Me loves to Eat Fords & Type R's For Dinner"

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    what area are you from?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatG View Post
    what area are you from?
    Im from south west area...Bath/Bristol way.

Status
    couldn't care less!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is your car a 3 or a 5 door and are the actual runners on the seats ok?

if they are and yours is a 5 door then ive got some seats that are just taking up space. not perfect but theres nothing wrong with them.

from the southwest region aswell so if there of any use let me know and we can arrange getting them fitted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast