Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lucas calipers query - need a response by 11am please!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

lucas calipers query - need a response by 11am please!

Righto, not sure if I have just done the right thing but I have just ordered a set of Lucas Calipers for my 'State.

I have posted before about changing calipers due to my dodgy Bosch one, I replaced the bosch like-for-like but the other one's stuck now so am going to update to the Lucas ones...

I know I will need new Handbrake cable, and pads, and i already have a set of new discs here waiting to fit, however when I rang the place to order them. they told me they wouldn't fit!

I will be leaving to get them around 11 o'clock so if anyone can tell me a bit more about whether they will fit, or if I'm about to buy something that will have to go on ebay straight away... i no i did my research, but now I'm havin 2nd thoughts and doubting whether what I think I know is true or not!

Help me please people of AS & AOC!
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    search its been covered a million times. Sorry I don't know the answer.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    have searched and still not sure... some people say they just swap over and some say they won't... I don't know if I've ordered the calipers with the carriers or just the calipers on their own! not sure what to do now, I guess I gotta just bite the bullet and get them and if need to make further purchases then sobeit it will hav to come out of my modifications fund

EDIT - 30 mins til I go people so if anyone else can help then please do so!

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The fit without replacing the handbrake cable, sorry for the late response, only just got up
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    right, just got in following frantic hour-long trip to pick up calipers then hour or so back again followed by going straight to work for 9 hours...

bit of a hectic day you could say!

Following my period on uncertainty this morning, after picking up the calipers I gave my local VX dealer a ring to pick one of the techies brains over the upgrade.. basically I'm a lot happier now with the whole process, it seems I was rightly informed in the first place they do fit (thanks to everyone on here who said that, sorry for doubting your info ). The reason I doubted was the guy where I got them from didn't realise I had the carriers as well, or that I had ABS. Hence the confusion...

Anyway, long and the short of it is I've got the calipers (and carriers) for the sum of £105.75. not bad I thought for calipers that VX want £300 for. These look fairly new as well.

One thing I have noticed is they don't have the damper mod that VX fitted, is this going to be a problem? How much would this set me back, is it something I can get on EBay or do I have to go to VX, and ultimately is it necessary?
    just when I thought I was getting to the end of my questions on this...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What you have said is a little confusing.

How come you have the carriers? Bosch carriers won't fit so they have to be Lucas. Are the calipers complete with carriers? if so are they marked in any way.

When you say nearly new that's also slightly worrying as the Mk5 uses Lucas rear calipers but they don't fit, well they do but the carriers don't. Makes absolutely no difference whether the car has ABS or not, well not to the caliper is doesn't. It's the hub that got the ABS not the caliper.

Damper mod is available from Vx but unsure what the part number is.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    the carriers came with the calipers, not sure why as I didn't ask for them, but hey it didn't put the price up so thats a bonus! and what do you mean by are they marked?

when I say nearly new, I mean they look clean and tidy and no obvious problems, compared to what I can see of the dodgy bosch ones I still have fitted, these Lucas ones look nearly new... See the (not brilliant) picture.. Do they look right?

as for the ABS point, I will readily admit I don't know anything about it, only know what I'm told, was told if I had ABS then would be different fit to non-ABS or somethin.

Just to clarify I have the right ones, what are the part numbers and where on the calipers should I be looking to check?

Here's the pic:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't need to look, those are Mk5 calipers.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    so back they go then? I assume there's no way I can get them to fit?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah there are 2 ways to get them to fit. Basically here's the problem. The caliper is almost the same as the Mk4 except the handbrake arm has an extra piece on it, it's the little piece of metal you can see on the right hand caliper, it's where the nipple sits. You can either cut it off or bend it out of the way or just leave it but the cable doesn't sit quite right then. The piston design changed as well but no problem there. The Mk5 caliper doesn't seem to need the damper mod, so maybe good news there.

Oops just remembered the handbrake arm where the nipple sits is slightly wider, you just need to squeeze it together a bit as the gaps thinner on the Mk4.

However, the carrier is another story. Where the bolt holes are is slightly thinner, this means the calipers fouls the disc as it's sitting near the hub. You could fit spacers/washers to space them out or you could buy a set of Mk4 carriers, they cost £33.50 each plus VAT. they are part No 93176089.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast