Thread: direct debit fraud??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry direct debit fraud??

2 months ago i made a telephone enquiry over the phone to my local sports centre regarding membership costs, i was quite impressed with their prices and showed an interest in joining.
    the lady on the phone asked for all of my details, name address and bank details etc? i questioned it at the time thinking it was odd, but she assured me it was just to make it simpler when i went in to sign the paperwork....well i never did. i joined as a member with the same company but at a different site closer to my work which was more convienient for me.
    well i noticed yesterday on my bank statement x2 direct debits on the first month and questioned it and its come to light now that i have 2 memberships running for the same company yet i only signed one direct debit mandate and that was at the gym i have been using....

this is fraud isnt it? i havnt signed the mandate to give them permission to debit my account of any funds from that site, where do i stand, can i go in and kick up a big fuss, after all £39 is a fairly large sum of money to be taken without permission. whats even more anoying is that they havnt still contacted me and would have been taking another direct debit today had i not cancelled it yesterday.

sorry for the book i just wrote if anyone can offer sound advice PLEASE HELP. i was thinking mabe i should push for 6 months free on the actuall membership i agreed and signed up for??

cheers
    learning the hard way

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    you have every right to go in and complain, it may be an admin error where they have put 2 direct debits togther in your file one signed one not and used the signed one for both (if that makes sence) but either way it whould have been noticed as they do need to be signed.

If in doubt give your bank a call first for clarification on the situaltion and then go in and sort it out. Be poilte and calm and ask to speak tot he manager.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i spoke to the bank yesterday they gave me the details of the direct debits and they were different reference numbers, so i took that information to the sports center last night to discover the reference numbers were regarding the site of set up, and they confirmed last night i have 2 memberships running and they gave me the name of who set both of them up, one a guy called adam, which is the one i signed for, he set it all up with me sat there, the other by a lady called sue, this being the one i didnt sign for. im thinking they were down on their sales targets and just assumed i would be in to sign the form...i also discovered that the sales reps get £15 for every membership they sell...
    learning the hard way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they should refund you then tbh,
    for future reference you can recall a direct debit sent out that day or the day before with no hassel at all with your bank, they can just get it back, after that you would need to ask them to file an indemnity claim which technically should get the money back to you within a couple of days but tbh it is always alot easier to just ask the company to refund it (especially if it is their error)

looks like you got it sorted now tho
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers. would it be too much to ask for a few months free for the hassell do you think? or atleast 1 month. will the refund have to go back into my account and take however many days for them to process or should it be something i can ask for to have out of the till?? there wouldnt be any point in going in and getting angry as i have stopped the direct debit now and its been done, i just wndered what other people would have done in my situation... im not the best person when it comes to money matters.

thankyou
    learning the hard way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you can proove that a Direct Debit has been setup without your signature, I am sure this is Fraud and can be persued by the police. If the company are willing to cancel the unsigned account and refund any monies taken, then i'd be happy accepting it as a mistake or something.

But if they kick up a stink, report them to your bank and then see what your local CAB or Solicitor say about it and go from there.

When I've had a direct debit come out that shouldn't (wrong time etc), i've just called the bank and told them to cancel it. The next day I have the money back in my account.

But that usually only applies if you notice on the day the Direct Debit.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i stopped this months one before they took it, but only one of them, the one i set up i kept going, obviously as im using it 6 days a week.
    the only reason i questioned it as being fraud is because the other 8 direct debits i have coming from my account i have a copy of the signed direct debit mandate which i keep in a folder labled direct debits, so i know which days and how much so i can make sure i always have funds in the bank.
    why is nothing ever easy.
    learning the hard way

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Under the Direct Debit guarantee you are entitled to a full refund - just ask your bank. They should refund the money to you immediately and then they will argue with the vendor to get the money back.

It's not fraud, but it is dishonest, and she will probably lose her job over it, because the gym will be fined by the banking commision.
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    the moral here? never give out your account number & sort code out over the phone...

if you are making a payment, then use your debit card (or better still for more protection use a credit card), and for regular payments only do it in person...

I must admit if one of my staff or collegues had done this then they'd be severely reprimanded and probably suspended. TBH I don't think she would get sacked on the basis of this one incident if she has a clean disciplinary file. she could turn round and say the form was left out and not put through to their bank and someone else must have took the form in. Also, I'm confused as to why the sport's centre's bank wouldn't have noticed an unsigned form when processing the DD... :?: if we get any errors at all on ours then they are posted back either to ourselves or straight to the client! as you can possibly tell, part of my job is dealing with gym membership issues but thankfully we have staff who can actually differentiate between not signing and signing a piece of paper so I've never had a problem like this one!

hope you get this sorted
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.