Thread: Pro's / Con's of Oil Cooler

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pro's / Con's of Oil Cooler

Now im not meaning the OE oil cooler here, but an additional oil cooler, such as http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mocol-oil-cool...QQcmdZViewItem

Simply an example, and I am not really planning on installing one anytime soon, just always wondered what the pro's and con's would be, obviously cooler oil, but is it really worth it in addition to the OE Oil cooler?
    888 Coupe - The original and best!
    For sale - 1x Kidney, Slightly abused by alcohol
    £45,000 or Part Ex for VXR8 Bathurst-S

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unless for some reason you are running high oil temps then no need really to get one, the stock one does a good enough job. Its only around the 120'C mark that you should consider cooling. Mine, when up and running sits at the mid 90's level all day long ocassionally going up to 100'C if im giving it some beans. If you were getting a track day car then yes and oil cooler would be a nesseciaty (sp) as you see far greater temps. Thing to remember also is that if you increase the capacity of you oil level ie 5 ltrs to 6 ltrs by the extra piping and size of rad then it will take longer for your oil to heat up, which isn't ideal on a road car. Same applys if its a very effeicent cooler in the way of direct cold air.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool cheers Just always wondered
    888 Coupe - The original and best!
    For sale - 1x Kidney, Slightly abused by alcohol
    £45,000 or Part Ex for VXR8 Bathurst-S

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've done a few trackdays and even when going round for 15mins sessions my temp never went over 90. managed to do 7.5mpg on one track day finished off a tank of fuel in 100miles
    SMIC, miltek catback, precat, Thorney remap 242.7 bhp 281lb/ft torque

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcoupturbo View Post
    Unless for some reason you are running high oil temps then no need really to get one, the stock one does a good enough job. Its only around the 120'C mark that you should consider cooling. Mine, when up and running sits at the mid 90's level all day long ocassionally going up to 100'C if im giving it some beans. If you were getting a track day car then yes and oil cooler would be a nesseciaty (sp) as you see far greater temps. Thing to remember also is that if you increase the capacity of you oil level ie 5 ltrs to 6 ltrs by the extra piping and size of rad then it will take longer for your oil to heat up, which isn't ideal on a road car. Same applys if its a very effeicent cooler in the way of direct cold air.
    You can get a thermostat with the mocal ones (about £25 I think) that opens when the oil reaches 80 degrees c. I was under the impression that an oil temp of over 100 degrees was bad news, let alone 120?

I'd assume the standard oil cooler is good enough for a standard engine but I have CS3 so with any performance increase you get increased heat.

With regard to track days, do you think 2 days of action on the Nurburgring in the middle of summer would warrant an extra oil cooler? I'm thinking it probably would and I'm going there in June.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazerc View Post
    i've done a few trackdays and even when going round for 15mins sessions my temp never went over 90. managed to do 7.5mpg on one track day finished off a tank of fuel in 100miles
    Is your car standard or modified? Was this on a cold day?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thing to remember with that grant is that the oil that the oil already in the radiator will be cold, so won't be ideal. Most modern semi synethics can handly 135'C as well mind.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got regal 3.5 and have a 10 row mocal cooler on its ok but its the water temp you need to worry about on these cars be better off with a vent to get the heat off the engine
    drivin hard! an smellin clutch!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oil to water cooler is far more efficient than an oil to air cooler, just get a bigger rad, as has been said, or clear some space around the engine, move the battery to the boot, use a boxed cone filter instead of an airbox, use a bumper with a bigger grille area.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So is the standard oil cooler still effective enough with modified cars being put through their paces on the track?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast