Thread: Suitable Cold Air Feeds..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Suitable Cold Air Feeds..

Well, seeing as I cant sleep, been thinking about adequate cold air feeds that I'm going to use for my Apexi induction kit when i fit it.

Using one of MikeWarner's pics of his induction kit (hope you don't mind) i've drawn 3 red arrows where I think cold air feeds should be directed.

Basically my theory is, have one or two vectra c pipe adapters fitted to the front of the car, with 3 outputs from that (custom made).

(White dots represent the end of the feed)
    The left hand feed will feed cold air to the left side of the induction kit, the middle one will go underneath the induction kit and feed the underside of it, and the right one will feed the right side.

Does this seem enough cooling? will the air actually get into the engine properly. Thinking about my existing setup, or the normal coupe turbo airbox, air goes directly into the filter and then around to the crossover pipe (always in a forward flowing motion).. this induction kit setup means air has basically got to turn a 90degree bend in order to feed down (is this right, or lack of understanding)?

Even though this picture isnt exactly artistic, it identifies potential feed positions:

So back to what I was saying before, the red rectangle shape would be the larger veccy c intake pipes, feeding 3 routes... or another way (or an additional way) would be having a cold air feed pipe behind the bottom of the bumper, also flowing air to the underside of the induction kit..

Then brings the other question, could there be too much air?

Comments?
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have a look at

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...eferrerid=2648

14th pic down, how about also building a heatproof (as much as you can) container for the filter

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    save you counting!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unless you can not fit an air box there's no reason to fit a cone filter as it will pick up a lot of hot air.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    the man in the boat
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    get a hold of some carbon fibre and make a box round about it like above and still use the vectra c pipe, then fit any more pipes posiblle round about it. you could always put vents in you wing right next to the filter as well

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

give this a go just use some pipe from B&Q or a aircon shop

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea i think i'll try that, plus a box around it.

Im currently using the sealed pipercross viper induction kit, and have had a few issues with AFM failing, this setup above seems to work for some people so may aswell give it a shot

Can you buy carbon fibre and mould yourself, or is there any other heatproof material I could use to make a surround, theres teflon, but its a bit pricey..
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    any idea where the heatproof containers can be bought from? may make my own, but would be good to check a few out first..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Question: Why worry about cold air feed?

Reasons:
    1. Throttle body is heated, controlled thermostatically, so warms the air going through it anyway.
    2. The turbo sort of heats up the air, which in turn is cooled by the intercooler.

Providing a cold air feed for air that's going to be reheated twice seems a little pointless.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS View Post
    Question: Why worry about cold air feed?

Reasons:
    1. Throttle body is heated, controlled thermostatically, so warms the air going through it anyway.
    2. The turbo sort of heats up the air, which in turn is cooled by the intercooler.

Providing a cold air feed for air that's going to be reheated twice seems a little pointless.

Because why add to both of those things heating up the charge with hot air to begin with??? Remember the colder the air the denser it'll be... Once its past the turbo its under presure anyway and none escapes so in theory you would have more oxygen and a better charge going in the engine if the feed was colder.... Just what I believe anyway....

I just don't believe in induction kits since owning one a couple of years back..... Only one i'd buy is the CAI type where the filter is relocated somewhere cold..... But I don't really want my car any louder so a courtenay filter and air box mods will do me lol must be getting old...

The thing is when people have their car rolling roaded they have the bonnet open..... To me thats not real world of what really will be happening with the induction kits when your driving about stopping and starting... It used to take me about 10 mins of driving 60+ to clear the hot engine with my typhoon I used to own.... If I didn't do that the car didn't feel as powerful and really bogged down...
    Arden Astra GSI - Phase 3.5

EDS Phase 3.5 288 BHP 340 FT/LB

Inlet cam and Dbilas manifold.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast