Thread: EGR Valve

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry EGR Valve

well today i bought a blanking plate for my egr valve.

went to fit it using the guide on here as a help but i didnt get very far!!!!

firstly, how the hell do you get into the bolt at the back??? there is a thin bar off metal that runs directly over the head off the bolt????

secondly, the connector on the top off the valve would not come off!!!!

and to make things worse it started to rain

can anyone help me with a specific guide for accessing the bolts and the correct way to remove the connector??? or even better, anyone in aberdeen fancy a wee job???

the car is a 2.2 sri by the way.

thanks!!

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    fit the socket on the bolt top first through the gap at the bottom, and then drop an extension down from the top.

I hope you're not just gonna blank if off and unplug the EGR tho

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no, leave it connected but just blank it off, i was only taking the connector off to get it out the way!!!

i tink i no wat you mean, the rain is still on tho so will have to have a go tomorrow now!!!!

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh right - are you just doing this to test if it's the EGR at fault before you buy a replacement, as per your other thread?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea, the plate was only a couple off £ so thought why not!!!

it is really annoying tho, seems to be gettin worse, hope this solves it tho!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is it wrong to just blank it off and leave it blanked off???

i have read that it is ok as only europeon cars have it?? american cars ect do not have them and it willl not affect it???

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h3ppy View Post
    is it wrong to just blank it off and leave it blanked off???
    yes it is - it's part and the engine management, not just the emissions control and VX have spent a fair bit of cash designing the engine to have it there.

On later engines it can be safely removed and blanked, but it needs canceling via tech2, but if you simply remove it without having it canceled it's not good for the engine.

nicked from elsewhere on the web to save me typing it all out ...

Contrary to popular belief, a properly operating EGR actually increases the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:

Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.
    • Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.
    • Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is relatively minor compared to the first two.

It also decreases the efficiency of gasoline engines via a few more mechanisms

• Reduced intake charge density. EGR tends to heat the intake charge. This means a bigger piston or stroke must be used to induct the same amount of fuel and air mixture. This results in a bigger and heavier engine.
    • Reduced specific heat ratio. A lean intake charge has a higher specific heat ratio than an EGR mixture. A reduction of specific heat ratio reduces the amount of energy that can be extracted by the piston.

EGR is typically not employed at high loads because it would reduce peak power output, and it is not employed at idle (low-speed, zero load) because it would cause unstable combustion, resulting in rough idle.

As for the US version not having them - you can't really make a direct comparison, as US version use a different ECU altogether, as well as other differences in the engine ancillaries. Plus US emissions laws are different

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok, cheers.

how much are the egr valves as from wat i have read from the warranty booklet anything to do with the exhaust is not covered!!!

will try anyway but if it is not covered just wanderin how moch it would be???

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's one on ebay at the mo...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-EGR-V...QQcmdZViewItem

but alos try www.autovaux.com - they might be able to do it cheaper

when you say warrenty -is the car still under VX warrenty or not? and whats the reg year if it is

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it is not under a vx warranty, it is a scotsure warranty through a private garage.

the car is a 2001 51.

cheers for the info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast