Thread: Std 4 disc changer - not ejecting :(

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Std 4 disc changer - not ejecting :(

Hi people, I purchased my Astra Coupe today (gratz to me!), started the long drive home, went to pop a Cd into the 4 disc changer (all standard GM stuff) - pressed the eject button, the flap came down but the cartridge never popped out - phone the guy I'd just bought it off, he said it worked earlier when he took his CD's out.
    Does anyone know the next step? Is there a way of manually ejecting the cartridge? It makes whirring noises as if it's trying to ejct but nothing is happening.

I was planning on changing the H/U to the Kenwood one from my old Corsa GSi - assuming the multichanger can't be brought back to life then I will still do that but is there a way to get it working with the steering wheel controls if I do go down that route?

Cheers in advance for any help

Jules

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    When you press the button does the flap open or does it stay closed? It may also sound silly but there is a cartridge in there and the guy just forgot to put it back in?

Whn you put your kenwood headunit in which you will do as long as the headunit has steering wheel control option then it can be connected up with the right leads.

Have a look at the stickys in this forum for all the information you need
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi AS - yeah the flap comes down but that is as far as it gets!
    There is a cartridge in there - well I assume it is as if it's not then I see nowhere for it to go! There is a black plasic piece of trim that says "4 disc magazine etc etc" on it, there is a little white tab that folds out which I thought would be the manual release but I can't get it to come out with this.
    I'd like to get it working so I can put it back in the Coupe when sell-on time comes round (not for any foreseeable future though!)

I'm not sure if the H/U has that option but I will dig out the manual and have a look - it's only a couple of years old (at most) so I'd of thought it would.
    If/when I go down this route at least it means I can get a normal glove box insert and get some room back in there! With the CD changer and the storage box underneath it I can hardly get anything in there currently!

Cheers

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The white tag is to release the CD's when the cartridge is out so nothing to do with ejecting.

I don't know of any manual release on them though

If it was me i'd have it out, take the top off it and see if it's jaming up anywhere but you will probably have to disconnect it at some point so make sure you have the code for it as it's seperate to the radio code
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh right - so pulling on that white tab won't do much for me then! lol

Good point about the code - I'll have to go through the paperwork that came with the car and see what I can find - you say the multichanger has a seperate code from the standard H/U? Blimey! Talk about awkward! lol

Oh well, that's a job for tomorrow me thinks!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Both codes are on the car pass credit card sized thing which should be inside the owners pack.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ian, Ian, Ian, from Merseyside? Drives a Cabrio Coupe and a Corsa GSi.....The name rings a bell

Oh and yeah I have found the relevent radio and changer codes.

This is what I see when the flap comes down - I'm assuming the CD magazine is in there or does the panel you can see in the pic below move somehow so the cartridge can come out - or is this the cartridge itself (the part with the white tab).

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Thats the CD cartridge mate

Seeing as you say you head it make a noise when you press the button makes me think it's all connected so somethings just jammed up

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah it whirrs and makes all the right noises - just doesn't do anything!
    I took it out tonight and took the top off, with it still plugged in I pressed the eject button, there is internal movement but the cartridge doesn't eject still.
    Having never had one of these I'm unsure of how it is suppose to work, it looks like the 4 disc magazine inside the cartridge has to lower down to line up with the slot and then eject out - it seems to me like mine is stuck in "play" mode as if there is CD's in the magazine but obviously nothing is playing (the radio still works) and it won't eject them - if that makes sense?

I'm getting close to giving up with it and writting it off as beyond repair
    My only problem is what to fill the hole in the glovebox with when I remove it!

Edit: Just to add that I have unplugged and plugged in the multichanger a few times this evening and not once have I been asked to enter the code - could this be related to it's non-working?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    When i've had changers apart before i've not known what i've been doing but so far i've not broken one, just a case of working out what needs to slide where. As for the code i'm not sure when it asks for it or maybe it's possible to decode it

As for filling the space in the glove box do as I did and order a new back for it from vauxhall for about £30 and have a full size glovebox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast