Thread: Infinty shitness??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Infinty shitness??

any1 got a set of infinity components that r still working??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would say if used properly most will still be working
    do you know why yours blew ?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nope 1 was working then jus stopped after a couple of days then the other started sound crap an distorted yesterday.

i havnt had them up that loud. so im pretty stumped?? unless it has somthing to do with my amp?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you got the gain to high how did you set it because that would give them the distorted sound
    if you want to check your amp disconect the speakers and put a multimeter on the terminals set the meter to ac them play some music if you get voltage on both chanels then the amp is fine
    to check speakers push the cones in gently if you hear them scratch the coils could be distorted and put your meter on ohms and put it on the coil wires it should show about 3.6 ohms

hope that helps

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for ur replys autoSRI

im no expert and havnt double checked but im pretty sure its the speaker. the amp is set about half way. i dont think its the way its set up thats causin tha distorting cos its only jus happen they were workin fine.

The speaker is doin exactly wot my original speakers did, kinda burpin, this was the whole reason i got new 1s.

am gona get on the phone 2mo i see wot can b done about them.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This may sound silly but how do you have them set up sound wise? My mate blew his first 2 sets by being a fool and firstly running them without using the crossovers then trying to put to much bass through the 2nd set. Now hes set up the frequencies properly and they have lasted.
    www.bansheemotorsport.co.uk
    Sitting on 18s and a 50mm drop 888 Sparco interior. Tints, and body mods on the way!
    Project 35% complete.
    www.myspace.com/toupe - Check us out out!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    never had a problem with Infinity components, have fitted IRO 20 sets to various cars over the last couple of years, never had anyone come back to me yet. I also have a set in mine and have had in my last two cars with no probs.

As stated above tbh unless you have been unlucky and picked up a set with a defect it is probably your setup causing distortion and feedback through them as you describe. Check all your wiring is insulated and connected properly. I suggest it could be the gains from your amp even if you're not sure and have checked, try them as AutoSRI said.

tbh if they are amped up and setup correctly it is unlikely you will blow them as the amp would protect them if u turned h/unit volume turned up too high.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why would the amp protect the speakers ? from what i understand if you keep turning the the head unit up it will send the amp into clipping and send DC to the speakers and cause distortion
    how many watts are the speakers rated at and what is the amp rated at

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    without an amp, sending excess volume (so to speak) to the speakers will cause them to distort excessively, and in some cases "pop", damaging the cones. With an amp, as you said the amp will clip the sound, (going into protection mode) thus preventing the speaker from being damaged beyond repair. simply turn the gains down on the amp to prevent the distortion.

my guess is that the volume control on the head unit was set quite low when the gains were adjusted on the amp, therefore when you turned the h/unit up in normal use the gains are set too high. This is just my view though and without seeing the problem it isn't easy to diagnose why the speakers would distort so much.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    clipping is what damages the coils not protects them when you turn the head unit up its doing the same just on a smaller scale amps out puts are ac when it clips the smooth ac waves are turned into dc square waves have you ever used an osciliscope this shows this and thats how gains should be set

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast