Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member - MkIV Coupé buying guide?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up New member - MkIV Coupé buying guide?

Morning chaps and chapettes, I'm a new user who recently signed up as I'm after a MKIV coupé, I've found one and should be going to look at it on Wednesday - my question is quite simple - what sort of common problems/serious issues (specific to MKIV's/Coupés) should I keep an eye out for?
    It's a 2.2 16v and I've been told to have a listen for a noisy cam chain, I'm assuming that if it is noticably loud then it's a potential serious problem but never having had a car with a cam chain (only belts) I'm a bit curious as to how I'll know if it's noiser than what it should be.

Any advise, hints or tips will be gratefully recieved!

Jules

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi and welcome ot AOC

Firstly, what year is the car?

And there's some good Mk4 info in this thread - http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=54329

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hiya and welcome to AOC.
    The nicest engine is the 2.2 (biast i know), as it is chain driven, and torqy, the chain itself very rarely snaps or anything, but if it noisy then yeah it might have stretched etc, so would need changing or it will cost you money. Have a look at the link Ffoeg put up, its good.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2.2 and its a great engine.
    IIRC the chain problem was due to a poor oil feed but this was sorted out after a recall in early 2001. So if you have an pre-2002 coupe make sure its had the work done under the recall/warrenty - if its got a full service history then this should'nt be a problem. You can always phone vxl armed with your chassis no. and get them to confirm this.

Ffeog is the man for the 2.2

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the welcome peeps and also the links and info, The car is a 2000 (W), ex Vauxhall demo car and, according to the seller, has a good service history so hopefully the oil feed to the chain problem has been amended but I will do as suggested and phone Vauxhall to find out if/when I buy it - I assume I can just ring my local dealership (what department?) and they should be able to tell me?

EDIT: I can't view the thread in the link that you posted Ffoeg as I get the following message:

Ju1es, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    :|

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry Ju1es -I've moved the thread so it's visible. try this - http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=101736

As you're looking at a W reg - makes sure the chain has been done, and if you can't get conclusive proof that it has, knock the price down by at least £500 and use the money save to get the chain replaced ASAP. If they won't budge on the price, walk away!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got the chassis number so will ring up Vauxhall tomorrow and enquire about the cam chain, many thanks once again.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Noisy door/window seals seems to be a common moan on the coupe'. Take it for a drive and try to listen near the wingmirrors for excessive noise.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d_ghedia View Post
    I have a 2.2 and its a great engine.
    IIRC the chain problem was due to a poor oil feed but this was sorted out after a recall in early 2001. So if you have an pre-2002 coupe make sure its had the work done under the recall/warrenty - if its got a full service history then this should'nt be a problem. You can always phone vxl armed with your chassis no. and get them to confirm this.

Ffeog is the man for the 2.2
    I have just spoken to the service department of my local Vauxhall dealer, gave them the chassis number and reg plate and it came up that the car was never subject to any recalls, I asked if she could tell me if it has had any work done other than the regular services but she isn't able to tell me that, I also read in this months Total Vauxhall where it has a guide to replacing the cam chain, that the larger oil jet was never done under a offical recall but would probably of been done on the quiet whilst in for a service so I'm hoping that this is the case for this car.
    I guess I can only really suck it and see - go there and have a listen and make a decision about it then.
    I have had the car HPi'd and it all checks out, no outstanding finance, no recorded crashes and confirmed mileage so it all seems straight and genuine - doesn't help me if the cam chain lets go though!

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    correct - there was never a blanket recall done on the 2.2, but the affected cars should have been identified and the modified parts shouldd have been fitted as and when the cars came in for routine servicing.

An official why to tell if the work has been done is to look on the chain tensioner nut and look for some small nicks in the corners of the hexagon - it's about 6" down the back of the engine on the left hand side, just to the left of the exhaust manifold - it's a big 32mm nut and you should be able to find it OK once you remove the engine cover. If it's got the nicks in the nut it should have had the work done...But - some cars have been found to have the modified tensioner, but on taking it apart it's been found to have the old oil nozzle.

Sorry if there are too many should in the above, but we're talking about main dealers here and I'd be daft to make any definite statements

Also if it's got FSH - check the receipts to see if there is any inkling as to it being done.

Any try and get some cash off the car - it's relatively easy to change it you want to DIY and the parts will cost you less than £170, which IMO is not a bad price to pay for peace of mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast