Thread: HELP!!! - laptop wont boot up - B.S.O.D

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HELP!!! - laptop wont boot up - B.S.O.D

For some unkown reason upon starting my laptop today, i get the whole 'windows didnt shut down properly last time' thing
    (due to hardware or software failure), and you can choose to start normally or in safe mode etc.
    if i go for either option, the windows logo comes up, for about 3-4 seconds, then bammo, blue screen of death (flicks on screen for about half a second), and the laptop reboots. the process begins again, straight to the 'windows didnt shut down properly last time' message.

I cant get into bios, cant do anything. What the heck do i do if i cant boot into anything?!?

have important work on the laptop i need to be getting on with, so will go and try to pick up a 2.5" external HDD enclosure and hook it up to this desktop to hopefully retreive files etc.

I hate it when things like this happen

P.S it is a relatively new (6 month old) Sony Vaio. decent spec etc. I dont think i even got a windows cd or anything with it...

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It would have come with a restore cd.... use that on it to put it to factoru default. Or get an xp cd of a mate and run the recovery console on it and use the option chkdsk /f /r see if that fixes any errors..
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If its vista you can start it in debugging mode just keep hitting F8 after the bios screen until you get the list of options.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Edit..

Try safe mode first. but also select "Disable The Automatic Restart On System Failure" if it's available which will give you the BSOD error.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had this problem on sunday - turned out one of my internal hdd's was fubar even though all checks where fine with it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try disconnecting the power supply take out the battery leave it sitting for a while also check to see if it has a reset button,try that at the same time.

A quick google search and it looks like your not alone, maybe a memory slot problem.
    Have a look at this> http://www.aqstech.com/vaio3.html
    also you might want to read some of the posts here>http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/5449/

This is a quote from the above forum..

have a Sony PCG - GRX650 that stopped booting up or only booted up intermittently, about 17 months after I purchased it. I had to purchase another laptop because this problem occurred smack in the middle of important corporate project presentations. I now find that I need a second laptop and was searching the web for a place to start troubleshooting the Sony issue when I encountered this thread. I'm posting this reply to document my own laptop's failure to reboot in the hope that the growing number of incidence of this problem will get Sony to take notice.

My Sony PCG - GRX650 Symptoms

- On powering on the laptop the extreme left green LED and the extreme right amber
    LED light up. Shortly threreafter the extreme right LED flickers off followed by
    intermittent flickering of the two middle amber LEDs.

- The laptop does not boot up at any time.

- Upon reading an entry in this thread indicating that removing the back plate over
    the memory sticks, and applying pressure to the memory sticks, has resulted in
    successful reboots of other Sony VAIOs with reboot problems, I tried this
    excercise and the laptop rebooted.

- Trial after trial of attempting to reboot without applying pressure to the memory
    sticks resulted in the laptop failing to reboot.

- Each time pressure was applied properly the laptop rebooted.

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the tips and info all, but after many attempts and pulling much hair out i have done a system restore, and all is like it was when it left the factory. I lost some files i could have done with but no mass trauma. oh well :/. Will start working from an external HD ASAP!