Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Front Passenger Seat

Hi there, great forum

I'm hoping that someone here can give me some pointers, the passenger seat on my car seems to be broken. The seat moves forward and backwards ok as well as tilting correctly ( I know that there is a common problem with the cables snapping!! ) the problem I have is that when you sit in the seat the left hand side (next to the door) moves backwards where its not supported.

I have managed to strip down the seat and the cables are fine, after having a look at the operation of the seat back it appears that something in the mechanism has broken. Has anyone else had this problem and if so can you give me some pointers on how to fix it.

I don't really want to spend a small fortune buying a new seat from the dealers.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    certainly not heard of just one side not fixing into place....

if you can't see how to fix it, suggest going to a breakers yard to either get another seat...
    or one of the old fashioned ones where you can go in and take one apart.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply, I'm currently trying to source one from the local breakers to see if I can work out how the mechanism works and if I can find a good one in a different colour I'll change the covers over.

Thanks again.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this is no help to u i know- but my m4 3 door did the same thing, but this happened on both drivers and passenger seat on mine i never sourced the problem cuz i traded it in.
    u are right in the cables snapping though on the tilt mechanism this happened on mine its very common.
    ASTRA 1.6 DESIGN sporthatch (dead ringer for faults)

0-60 - IN 3 MINUTES!!!
    0-100 - (NOT YET CONFIRMED)

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the same issue on my 3 door.
    At PVS last year DannySport18 showed me how to fix it.
    I have tried several times and haven't got the patience, but basically:

1) remove the plug underneath for the seatbelt pretensioner
    2) remove the allen/torx bolt, and slide the seat out.
    3) now pull really hard on the back support winder
    it will pop out of the seat with a long oddly shaped metal rod attached to it.
    4) with the rod 4-5 inches out of the car turn it slightly forwards or backwards until the seat seems level (both side same distance from front)
    5) slide the rod back in and try to locate it in the wheel on the other side.

As said by Danny this is 99% trial and error, 1% luck. If you manage it fairplay, cos I've done it 20-30 times and got bored trying to sort it out.
    At one point I managed to get it so that it was the opposite side of the chair that wasn't supported. Now I have it back so it's the outside edge that isn't.

It's caused by some fat git over straining the seat - so if you have any fat friends - it's their fault!!!
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!