Thread: Smoked rear lights

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smoked rear lights

Is it road legal to tint rear lights black?

If so where can I get the spray?

Thanks

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes its legal as long as there not too dark and the refletor can be seen!
    i have a three sets or rear lights im selling at the mo!
    will get some pics up tomorrow!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as stated above.

link to online purchase (scroll down in link)
    that's where I got mine from
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    quite an art form in getting them "right" though...

so good luck!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as stated its very difficult. I tried about a year ago. using tint spray, it looked great for about 6 months till it started to go a hazey blue colour.

Depending on how dark you want to go. You are much better off buying some of those genuine vauxhall tinted ones.
    323 BHP / 312 lbft.......

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dharding02 View Post
    as stated its very difficult. I tried about a year ago. using tint spray, it looked great for about 6 months till it started to go a hazey blue colour.

Depending on how dark you want to go. You are much better off buying some of those genuine vauxhall tinted ones.
    I want them to be quite dark, not hazy. Where can you buy the proper tinted/smoked ones from?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

These are the genuine vauxhall lights fitted to GSI & SRI after 52 plate. You will probabaly find some knocking around on ebay for about £50. Thats how I got mine.

But it sounds like you might be after something darker? I did a little research when looking for some to fit and I think you can actually have them jet black, the only rules are

1) they have to still show a decent amount of light and the light of the right colour for the corresponding light

2) The bottom reflector has to be untouched and stay completely red. So you could have extremely dark lights but leave the red strip along the bottom? if you get me.

Theyre are several versions about if you look on ebay. But I bet less than half of these DIY style attempts are legal. I persoanlly dont like the Irmscher style lights, whether dark or light but thats also an option.
    323 BHP / 312 lbft.......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dharding02 View Post

These are the genuine vauxhall lights fitted to GSI & SRI after 52 plate. You will probabaly find some knocking around on ebay for about £50. Thats how I got mine.

But it sounds like you might be after something darker? I did a little research when looking for some to fit and I think you can actually have them jet black, the only rules are

1) they have to still show a decent amount of light and the light of the right colour for the corresponding light

2) The bottom reflector has to be untouched and stay completely red. So you could have extremely dark lights but leave the red strip along the bottom? if you get me.

Theyre are several versions about if you look on ebay. But I bet less than half of these DIY style attempts are legal. I persoanlly dont like the Irmscher style lights, whether dark or light but thats also an option.
    The dude has a coupe iirc.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the spray is the way to go for me then. Does it rub off easily? Also if I did spray them/tint them would I have to leave the bottom red light then?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The spray in my link above will rub off, (but it doesn't when you jet wash it).
    I would lightly tint them and leave the bottom reflector mate, as you're not supposed to cover that (although I have)
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast