Thread: Enlarged throttle body

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Enlarged throttle body

Found a Enlarged throttle body for sale from a Vectra, with the X20XEV engine, same as my mk4. Will this be a direct replacement? Can i expect much of a power gain / throttle response. Anything i should look out for?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yes they are direct replacements.... Regal and Courtenay do them and claim up to 8bhp increase. Not sure how much it will give but it will improve throttle response.

Check out teh aformentioned supplies for more details...

I have one but not got roud to fitting it yet and it was from the same person that you see is selling it aka Dan_Vectra, ho is also a VVOC member if you want to check out his feedback and work.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that Mark. How much do Regal / Courtenay sell these for? Just so i know what i should be paying for it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Not sure TBH, as can't access Courtenay's site. I may have been mistake as I can't see any on Regal's site

Have a look in a copy of Total Vauxhall for prices. The one you have see is a machined vesion which as much cheaper. The Courtenay ones are CNC machines too but more expensive

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    seem to remember theyre around £150-200 but could be wrong.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    are you sure these are direct swaps, i remember speaking to courtney a while ago about this and they said on the z series engines it wont work due to the electronic throttle lark
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    is a Z20 TB bigger than a Z18? they're both electronic throttles aren't they, and what bout the 22? Geoff swapped his for a 68mm ID one
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haulme View Post
    are you sure these are direct swaps, i remember speaking to courtney a while ago about this and they said on the z series engines it wont work due to the electronic throttle lark
    He's talking about X20XEV engines from the Vectra and Astra. Z series (electronic Throttle) are very difficult if not impossible to strip them down to get them machined

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCoupe View Post
    is a Z20 TB bigger than a Z18? they're both electronic throttles aren't they, and what bout the 22? Geoff swapped his for a 68mm ID one
    I'm not sure on the sizes of the Z18 and Z20, but being as the Z20's it's turbo'd, size to some extent is imaterial since the air is being forced down it

Z22's are totally different from the other engines, and AFAIK not interchangeable without a lot of work

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-SRI View Post
    Found a Enlarged throttle body for sale from a Vectra, with the X20XEV engine, same as my mk4. Will this be a direct replacement? Can i expect much of a power gain / throttle response. Anything i should look out for?
    Ricky, like myself owns an Astra G 2.0 16v X20XEV SRi. The throttle body on these is mechanical unlike the Z'series engines.

The throttle from the Vectra/Cavalier/Astra Mk3 with the X20XEV is the exact same.

Othes may be gettign confised with electronic throttles from the 1.8 and 2.2's which is a totally different design

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    z18 and z20let are the same bore afaik, z20 just has a fitting for a tophat on top instead of a hose which could blowoff.

x20xev i have a spare tb knocking around, ill have a look at how easy it is to machine. the only tricky part is getting the new butterfly of exactly the right diameter, and precise machining especially where the plate is so that you get the right air at idle (possibly "sealed" in the x20xev - some engines have this cracked open at minimum idle airflow and then add any extra air needed with the ICV, some are "sealed" and add all idle air with an ICV).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast