Thread: Turbo

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Turbo

I've got a bit of oil coming from the turbo on the left hand side when standing in front of the car on a Y20DTH. It has done nearly 90.000 miles. Am I in for a hefty bill soon or is just something simple like a seal? Or is it meant to do this?

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    U havent overfilled it with oil at all have you? over filling it can pop the seal lettin oil back into the turbo which could force it to expel it like this... i'm not an expert but this is what was suggested had happened on my van b4 it failed an MOT & i got rid...

someone considerable more knowledgeable than I will be along and have another suggestion tho I reckon
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The miserable Garrett unit on the DTH does tend to spray oil a bit. Usually seeps out round where the stainless cross pipe is attached to the turbo. You'd probably find some oil in the bottom of the intercooler too.

As long as it doesn't start *issing out, it'll be fine. It's a pretty small, low pressure turbo, so it's not under much strain, and failure although possible won't happen tomorrow just because some oil is escaping through the seals.

You can get oil coming out of the rocker cover breather into the air pipe just before the turbo, which can make things look messy too. Mine can get a bit messy if I'm flinging it round corners, as the oil sloshes down the breather pipe into the air inlet pipe.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's coming from both of those places. It's good to know that it isn't catastrophic. What sort of mileage can I expect to get out of a turbo? Kind of a how long is a piece of string question, but I'm new to the world of turbos!

Definitely not been overfilled though but thanks for the advice.

Cheers guys.