Thread: Lowering

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lowering

Hey guys iam thinking about lowering my car.

i have a few questions i would like answerd befor i jump into doing it.

all i am going to do is get some KING spring lows (30-35mm) drop
    and maybe a cambur kit if it is needed.

how do i know which type of cambur kit to get ?? some people say i might not even need one ??

alot of people told me that just changing the springs is no good and that if iam going to do it, do it all (springs, shocks, sways) or nothing. because the ride/handling might turn crap.

but i have also spoken with alot of people who have just changed the springs and said that it is excellent.

anther issue is scrubbing. i have 17x7 rims and 215/45/17 series tyres. due to my offset it looks like my wheels are sitting directly levle with the arches.

some pics.

as you can see i currently only have about 40mm of travle with no weight in the car !!!!!!!! so once i put in the new springs creatiing a 30 to 35mm drop this obviously means i may only end up with 5mm of travle befor i start to experience scrubbing.

thanks for the help.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It all depends what you want to get from your suspension 'upgrade'.

For aesthetic reasons only then springs will be fine, and will make a very small difference to handling (due to the lower centre of gravity).

For looks and handling springs and mated shocks will be good - a lot of folks recommend Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs.

For BIG drops and infinite adjustability and great handling then coilovers are your best bet.

If you're only going down 30-35mm then you won't need to worry about the suspension geometry, but do bear in mind that the shocks may wear out quicker than they would at full height.

what offset/width wheels do you have??
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    U mention u have 7 x 17 rims so providing your offset is between 38 & 49mm you'll be perfectly ok lowering the amount u mention.

You should be able to go as low as 60mm without any problems providing the offset is within the limits above. If its less than 38 then rubbing could be an issue even if u lower it by 30mm or so.

Have a look on the inside of the rim - the offset should be stamped somewhere - it may have an ET next to it.

If u definitely only want to lower by 30-35mm then a spring kit on its own will be perfectly acceptable.
    40mm + then advisable to go for springs & shocks.

No need to worry about camber at this level

On a side note - is that a Holden badge? if so where are u located? South America or Australasia - or somewhere else?
    Nice lookin saloon - quite rare on British roads so its nice to see one - especially when its been modified.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hey mate. Yea iam in australia and i am a member on the opel australia forums. just joined up here because the opel seen is MASSIVE in the UK. Plus just looking out for a few more ideas and info. thanks for your help. Will post up an ET if i can find one.

have a look here if you wish to check out my ride
    http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10667

or go to www.opelaus.com to check out the aussie opel scene.