Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

alarm wires help

hi guys
    i'm fitting an alarm tommorow, i have a couple of quick questions for people in the know before i get going, i have a Y reg (01) 1.6 16v hatchback CD by the way
    for the 'door lock harness' wires i need to know what type of locking system i have, is it -
    positive triggered relay driven system
    negative triggered relay driven system
    reversing polarity system
    electrically activated vacuum
    one wire system(cut to lock, ground to unlock)
    positive (+) multiplex
    and where can i access the wiring loom for central locking, to connect lock/unlock wires ?

the other wires i need to connect to are as follows, i dont expect anyone to help me with all of them but if you know location and color code off top of your head for any, it would be a massive help

+12v constant supply to ignition switch
    +12v when key is in run position and during cranking
    +12v when any door is opened (courtesy light i'm guessing)
    a wire which will show ground when any door is opened
    lock relay normally open / common / normally closed
    unlock relay normally open / common / normally closed
    starter wire (i guess from ignition to starter motor for the immob 'feature')

thanks guys, i know its a lot to ask but if anyone knows either color codes or where i should look to access central locking / courtesy light / other needed wires it'd be a great help, i'm off to study haynes wiring diagrams!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Drop me a PM with your email address and i'll send you a fitting sheet with all the wire colours on the car needed for fitting a alarm

Immobilisation cuts aren't needed as the car has a cat 1 transponder immobiliser built in
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    autosparks- i'm fitting the alarm, but theres a couple of ?'s i have, theres one + wire for as the instructions say 'a parking light' flash and one neg, the 2 wires in your data sheet i got are for indicators, since i only have one posetive wire i can only make one side flash, should i maybe use the hazard warning switch to make both sides flash? also with the locking side, the 2 wires in your data sheet are for lock and unlock which are ok, but i need a third wire which is common ground, the other two are for lock and unlock which i'm guessing are the two on your sheet, any idea's mate ?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Right for the parking lights pick up a Grey/Red wire instead in the same location, this should then flash all your side lights even though they are controlled by 2 wires

The 3rd wire which is common ground just put that to earth as the system is negative pulse so needes the earth to lock and unlock the doors
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok, nearly there, the only one left i don't understand is the Green (-) door trigger input, (most vehicles use negative door trigger circuits, connect the green wire to a wire which shows ground when any door is opened. in vehicles with factory delays on the domelight circuit, there is usually a wire that is unaffected by the delay circuitry.)

for the violet (+) door trigger input (this wire is used in vehicles that have a posetive (+) switched domelight circuit. connect the violet wire to a wire that shows (+)12V when any door is opened, and ground when the door is closed) i'm using the grey from the N/S kick panel taken from your data sheet for this wire, just dont know where to pick up the neg side :/ any ideas mate, sorry to be a pain

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The grey wire is the negative side unaffected by the interior light delay although there is a grey to that is affected by the interior light delay so make sure you go on the right one

You only need to use one from the alarm and it just supplies both triggers for different types of vechicle so just use the green from the alarm and cut the violet off and don't use it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok, i think i've identified all the wires i need to crimp into (well, you did mostly =P ) i took off the N/S kick panel just now to have a pre-install look, the loom splits into 2 smaller looms, for easy routing i assume, but several of the color coded wires i need are in the loom several times, ie - 3 or 4 brown/red, 3 odd greys, do the same color code mean same function use any, or do i need to expose bare wire and get the multimeter out to identify them? sorry to keep hastling you on this mate

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Your going to have to test the wires i'm afraid, it's where this job gets fun!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    damn =( best way would be too strip a bit of sheath then insulate after, or cut, test and crimp back together in your experiance ? and i look for -
    grey/red - voltage when i put sidelights on
    brown/red - voltage spike when i lock doors
    brown/white - voltage spike when i unlock doors
    black - constant 12V
    black/purple - 12v when key is in ignition
    grey - do a continuity test with passenger door pin ? (or -12v when door is open that drops as soon as door is shut)
    that sound about right ?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    grey/red - voltage when i put sidelights on 12volts with the lights on
    brown/red - voltage spike when i lock doors Continuiety to earth when the doors are locked and it will stay that way until they are unlocked again
    brown/white - voltage spike when i unlock doors As above but the other way around
    black - constant 12V
    black/purple - 12v when key is in ignition
    grey - Continuety to earth when any door is opened

The way I test the wires is with a test light that has a shark spike on the end that can pierce the wire without damaging it other than that then yes strip it back a little and insulate it up after

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast