Thread: Urgent Help with removal of Aire Intake pipe (2.2)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Urgent Help with removal of Aire Intake pipe (2.2)

Hi guys, after having the Veccy C intake pipe and adaptor in my boot for the past 8 months, I finally got some time to fit it.... I thought it would be a pretty easy job. I have attempted it before but only got as far a derestricting the air box.

Anyway... after struggling for nearly two hours, I havent got anywhere with this. I have unscrewed the original air pipe from the slam pannel, removed my air box and even cut off the lip at the front of the pipe.

Ive got the pipe to move but I cant get it out from underneath the slam panel. I have tried everything from using big screw driver to leaver it out to almost removing the headlight. The how-to say removing the headlight will free up some space, but I can see how this will help with the removal of the pipe.

I think the problem is with the 'lugs' that on top of the pipe, which the two screws go into from on top of the slam panel. No matter how much I try, I cannot get the pipe to move enough so that I can expose these 'lugs' from under the slam panel.

I really need to get this sorted ASAP and get the car back on the road tomorrow so I can get to work.

Your help is much appreiciated.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The how to also says

"Using a large flat bladed screw driver, inserted between the underside of the slam panel and the top
    of the standard pipe, prise the mounting clips off the original inlet pipe. This can be a bit fiddle, but
    with a bit of force the will come off."

That will get the clips off the OE pipe, and give you enough room (with the air box and headlight removed) to get the pipe out

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    The how to also says

"Using a large flat bladed screw driver, inserted between the underside of the slam panel and the top
    of the standard pipe, prise the mounting clips off the original inlet pipe. This can be a bit fiddle, but
    with a bit of force the will come off."

That will get the clips off the OE pipe, and give you enough room (with the air box and headlight removed) to get the pipe out
    I kinda tried that!
    I unscrewed the pipe (torx screws) and uncliped it from the slam panel - are you saying that I dont need to do that but instead, aim to break the lugs/mounting clips from the pipe?

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    undo the screws, and then get the clips bits off the pipe using the method I posted above

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Geoff.... i'll have a go at this tomorrow morning.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I couldn't be bothered with the screwdriver, so I put a junior hacksaw under the slam panel and cut the clips off. 2 mins later it slid out easily
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!