Thread: can i do it myself????

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

can i do it myself????

is it easy enough to change brake discs or would i have to get it done proffesionally???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can do it yourself, they are a doddle to do really only a few bolts. Sure there is a how too guide somewhere.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sound then, is it just a case of takin the alloys off and old discs and slammin the new ones on???
    how long u rekon???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pretty much, youll need to remove the caliper & mounting brakcet, just remember to push the caliper piston in before you do this else youll never get the caliper back on, and pump the pedal up again before moving off. If its your first time then probably around an hour or so should do it. If your replacing the discs its always worth sticking a new set of pads on at the same time as well.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    piston???
    oooohhhhh its already soundin like rocket science!!!!! lol.
    by pump it up, do u mean kep pushin my brake pedal until i cant anymore???
    il prob change the pads but tbh the ones ive got on are quite new!!!!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am thinking about doing the same at some point. Doesn't the Haynes manual give you a step-by-step on how to do this as well? I presume all sensors etc wont need to be touched?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Haynes manual does give you a step by step guide yes. I managed to change my discs and pads with using that, so if I can, anyone will be able to as well!!!! However, the Haynes manual advises to disconnect the brake hose etc, which isn't necessary (unless you will be changing the brake fluid), you will be able to move the caliper to the side and have enough room to replace the disc and pads etc. Just make sure you keep the caliper supported and don't let the brake hose take the weight.

It is really simple to do, It took me a little while to do the first side, but then got the other side done in about 30mins.

Jays_sri - Yes, push down on the brake pedal until it becomes solid basically, you will know when its enough when you do it.
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above....but remember to remove the cap from the brake fluid reservoir before pushing the piston back - have a cloth around the reservoir incase theres a spillage. follow all the instruction in the bible (Haynes) - best way I find is to support the caliper with either a cable tie or a elastic bungee if u have one - and hang it from the suspension strut - dont just let it dangle or you could damage the hoses etc.

If u have a G-clamp then u can push the caliper back with this and a piece of wood - if not then Im sure u can devise something to use. Once everythings fitted then top up the reservoir if needed (probably not) - replace cap and pump pedal until its hard. check fluid level again.

Best thing to do is read thru the Haynes and see whats entailed - have a go (providing u have all the necessary gear) and Im sure you'll be impressed with ur handy work once finished.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you're changing the discs you MUST change the pads regardless of their condition. Any brake company, garage, mechanic or haynes will tell you that!!
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!