Thread: Weird turbo problem !!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Weird turbo problem !!

Ok the other day i had a strange thing happen and im looking for anyone to shed some light. Basically i was driving around as normal pulled up to drop someone off and when i left my turbo was refusing to spin up and create positive boost and the car felt very sluggish when i found some where to pull over i popped the bonnet and the turbo/manifold was glowing red hot (it was nighttime) i couldnt figure it so i drove home at which point it was fine again all running fine now and has been for a couple of days. I would really like to know what happened and whether it will have caused any damage ?????????????????

Cheers,
    James
    Mk4 Astra GSi Full Re-Build, GT2871RS, Tubular Manifold 376bhp 393 lb/ft thus far !

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    why you lost boost i dont know, but turbos normally glow red when they have been working hard! had you been driving long or thrashing it before you pulled up?

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a problem with the wastegate sticking open so i will drive like a normal 2ltr.

just check the rod, might be gettin hot and jaming then when it re cools it goes back to normal.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryaneddie View Post
    Ok the other day i had a strange thing happen and im looking for anyone to shed some light. Basically i was driving around as normal pulled up to drop someone off and when i left my turbo was refusing to spin up and create positive boost and the car felt very sluggish when i found some where to pull over i popped the bonnet and the turbo/manifold was glowing red hot (it was nighttime) i couldnt figure it so i drove home at which point it was fine again all running fine now and has been for a couple of days. I would really like to know what happened and whether it will have caused any damage ?????????????????

Cheers,
    James
    Im no expert, but when this happened to me i found that the nut at the end of the actuator rod had fallen off! so put a new one on!!!
    as you car still runs ok sometimes it may just bee loose, so needs tightening.

Just a thought
    2L Coupé - Regal Phase 3 - FMIC - SportsCat - VXR Turbo - Lambo Doors - Powerflow Exhaust & Custom ICE : www.scottsmotor.co.uk

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheer's for the responses peeps glad to know that the turbo does glow red i had been thrashing it a bit nothing major though. I will probably check the wastegate on saturday and see if anything is a miss or loose.

Thanks again,
    James
    Mk4 Astra GSi Full Re-Build, GT2871RS, Tubular Manifold 376bhp 393 lb/ft thus far !