Thread: MK4 Astra High Rev Problem

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question MK4 Astra High Rev Problem

Hi, Need some advice here witch i dont think is normal, ever since ive had the car it over revs on motorways its more noticible, i was doing 80mph and the rev counter needle was on 4000rpm then i hit 90mph and its almost on 5000rpm you can hear the engine roaring im just waiting for it going bang, this isnt normal is it? i have a feeling its this stupid EGR Valve thats the problem.. if so i wouldint like buying a new one 150 i got told they are and it still does the same i was thinking of getting it blocked in the summer cause this is swallowing petrol like mad just now im like paying 40-50 a week on fuel and thats only in my town driving about i dont use motorways that often.

Any help will be appracited cheers

Stephen.
    Astra G 1.6 16v

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 1.4 Astra only just does about a tonne, so obviously it's going to be revving it's tits off at 90. It's also not the most refined engine over 4000rpm.

IF you want to break the speed limit quietly, then get a 1.8 or 2.2.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it is the EGR then youd be daft to even consider payin dealer money for a new one - u can get a new one for circa £50 - a new ICV maybe on the cards too - I had a faulty ICV and it was over-revving like u mention - these can be had for £25 new.

Best thing to do is give both the EGR & ICV a damn good clean with carb cleaner (£5 for a can at motor factors) - give the throttle body a good clean while ur at it. You may notice the over revving disappears for good - alternatively (as I suspect) it may return after a short while.

For the price of replacement parts I'd suggest a new ICV and if that dont cure it - an EGR
    I'll source some good prices if ur interested

What engine & year is ur car?
    X14XE or Z14XE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 1.4 16v Astra is geared at 19.9 mph / 1000 rpm so 80mph should be 3900rpm while 90 should be 4400, both allowing for 3% speedo error.

If the revs go up 1000 from 80-90mph your clutch is slipping. This is probably caused, like the excessive fuel consumption, by you trying to prove you're the next Lewis Hamilton.

If you want to drive a performance car, buy one.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ooops - clutch totally "slipped" my mind there

From a standstill select third and try to pull away normally - if it stalls good! if the revs rise then ur clutch is donald ducked!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In all honesty mate, those rev levels are prob normal for a 1.4. If you want to go fast with low revs, try a diesel (1.7 tdi does 80mph at about 2700 rpm)
    MK 4 1.6 8v Red - lack of mods due to lack of money!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive been driving Astras for around 15 years now, i had a MK2 & MK3 1.4i 16v engines and the rev range has been around 3000rpm - 3500rpm when doing 80mph, but this MK4 is worser i must admit and is actully put me off buying another petrol Astra so i will be probably going for the MK5 1.3 diesel engine, Ive had the TB, ICV, EGR cleaned out by a mechanic i know it did change it went down to 3700rpm doing 80mph but gradually problem came back again, my mechanic said to me it will be the EGR thats nackerd as they where a faulty batch that came out around the year of my car, and that is W/2000 i dont know what engine i have where will i find this..? Also just woundering did the MK2 & MK3 have an EGR Valve?
    Astra G 1.6 16v

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The problem is, as time goes by manufacturers make cars heavier - not through choice, but because there are loads more electronic goodies and safety equipment that has to be included. Therefore over time the same size engine will either need lower ratio gearbox to cope as well, or will be slower. As the Uk speed limit is 70mph there should be no problems with fitting a slightly lower gear ratio box.

That is why Mk2/3 1.4's performed better than a Mk4, and I suspect a 1.4 Mk5 would be even worse.

To get the same performance as you had in a mk3 1.4 you'd need a 1.6 mk4.
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My car (also made in 2000) is running on it's original EGR valve at 80,000 miles so don't think they were all faulty!
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldint like to think that they where teejay.. As far as i know mine is the orginal EGR, ive had the car since 2003 it had 26k on the clock and now has 63k so i wouldint think its a worn clutch as its allways reved like this untill last year though car wouldint start AA guy came out cleaned EGR started first time and revs where normal i would say and fuel consumption was ALOT better, i like my astras great cars but this one is just kinda pissed me off, its the nicest astra ive ever had but also has been a disappointment..
    Astra G 1.6 16v

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast