Thread: In Search of some advice with my GSi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In Search of some advice with my GSi

Well everythign was going to plan with my rebuild, Everything was here ready to fit, got the new radiator on, suspension built back up and my new panels on,

we developed a leak when we first started it up, couldn't find where it was coming from so we tightened all the hoses and it stopped, Done a compression test and 2 and 3rd cylinder spark plugs were coming out with water on them, cranked it over without the plugs in and sit's spitting water out the same cylinders.... Had my mate come out and look at it this morning and the block has been cracked after sittin in the impound with no antifreeze or water during the hard frost

I can get a full VXR Engine gearbox wiring, brake set up and ECU for around £3k (a ZLET is only £200 cheaper!!!!), will this just mate up with the exisiting Z20LET Wiring loom or will i need to change everything?? NOBODY i have tried will split a Z20LET up and vauxhall are charging silly money for the block alone... so a full engine seems the most logical way to go plus i dont know what damage is done to the engine as a whole, he assures me that this is in no way my fault, it was done by the frost which makes it even more gutting

Desperate to get the car back on the road before F&M and thinking the newer VXR Engine is a better buy than the zlet for £200 cheaper

thoughts on this conversion would be appreciated
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You know my thoughts Skipz...VXR Engine, Might aswell
    EK9 Type R

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunsy View Post
    You know my thoughts Skipz...VXR Engine, Might aswell
    it's the fittin thats got me bothered, When i drove the VXR at evans halshaw i loved the engine.. hated the car, so logical choice is VXR engine in the car i love already.. although she may be moving closer to the exit door as we speak

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go for the LEH skipz - it's a straight swap over. You would be better retaining the ZLET inlet manifold though as on the LEH the ecu is mounted to it. You also get the vxr injectors, teflon coated pistons, under piston oil spray and no balancer shafts in the LEH block.

The only thing that you need to change is the oil level sensor plug on the sump - you will need to splice in a LEH plug as the ZLET one is a different shape - no biggy though.

You don't get the vxr turbo though as part of the engine block form vaux.

If you get the M32 gearbox with the block, you could fit it but I wouldn't unless you are going for big power as the LEH mates to the F23 with no problems at all. I'd sell the M32 as they are worth very good money and you'd recoup some of your costs.

If you do decide to fit the gearbox, you will need 'H' gear linkage, cables, driveshafts and driveshaft mountings.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    Go for the LEH skipz - it's a straight swap over. You would be better retaining the ZLET inlet manifold though as on the LEH the ecu is mounted to it. You also get the vxr injectors, teflon coated pistons, under piston oil spray and no balancer shafts in the LEH block.

The only thing that you need to change is the oil level sensor plug on the sump - you will need to splice in a LEH plug as the ZLET one is a different shape - no biggy though.

You don't get the vxr turbo though as part of the engine block form vaux.
    I'm gettin the full engine out of a write off (i think) mate, it gets checked and tested then sold and i am told with a years warranty aswell £3k for the complete engine

I phoned up Performance Vauxhall Spares Centre for the price and they quoted me for the Engine, loom ecu's the lot, even get the LEH Drive shafts!!! Pretty much everythign for a conversion

I take it your's was easy to fit then Scott? No teething problems or anything?? I'm not going to do this on a budget, another mate says i can have the block sorted but i dont want to run that risk with it being a turbo, Vauxhall want an arm and my kneecap for a new block!

I really dont know the full extent of that damage so i'm going to have the job done properly and go for a 2nd hand LEH and i can sleep easy knowing the car shouldnt break again!

Was thinkign about Keeping the F23 and sellin the M32 but i quite like the 6 speed box in the H... i'll morethan likely just sell the box to be honest and keep the five speed but that decision can be made at a later date tbh

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Forget the ECU as it works via canbus - it would be a nightmare to fit. Your best bet is to retain the ZLET sensors and ecu and just do a block or block/gearbox swap.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    Forget the ECU as it works via canbus - it would be a nightmare to fit. Your best bet is to retain the ZLET sensors and ecu and just do a block or block/gearbox swap.
    Will the ZLET ECu need remapped or can it run with the existing mapping?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'd probably be ok with the std map - but depends on what your future plans are. If you are going for more power then fit the vxr AFM and get it mapped. If you are not, retain the ZLET injectors and sell on the vxr ones.

Edited my above post by the way re. the gearbox.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm undecided about the future of the car scott, I hope to have it ready for Fast and modified in July, then we'll see what i do with it, I have plans to sell it for either a Cossie or an M3 but i dont think i will... not ready for either of those cars in my mind,

I will deffinately have to wait till it's finished before deciding what to do, the car has me stressed out as i'm moving this week and to find out my engine is knackered wasnt the best thing for stress levels

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Skipz, hate to say it but how you gonna afford a house a loan insurance and an M3 or a cossie?

Stick with the Astra or the sensible thing to do would be sell it and Buy some thing cheaper to run and insure. e.g. 2.2 or a 2.0
    EK9 Type R

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast