Thread: insurance and your job.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

insurance and your job.

Bored at work so have been playing around with online insurance quotes on admiral.com, changing small differences like age, sex, miles per year etc see how it affects your policy premium. What surprised me was that what job you do really seems to alter the price!

I found that if i was a builder my premium would be £300a year more!
    I am an optician and therefore a "proffesional" so this obviously seems to favour me in the insurers eye, but why?? Isnt this discrimination against in this instance builders of the same age as me?

Maybe you could play around with your job title when filling in the insurance form to bend the truth alittle to save £££??
    Former GSi owner, now own a plastic car with a vectra engine......

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Professional types are supposed to be (don't make me laugh!) more responsible than your average supermarket worker etc etc. Insurance companies will look at the fact that your job comes with a certain level of responsibility and expect that attitude to be carried over to your driving...

Seems a reasonable enough assumption on the face of it I suppose, but then when u consider many "professionals" happen to be the BMW drivers who roar up behind u in the fast lane at 100mph, flashin their lights coz u r ONLY doin 80, doesn't make them seem too responsible and less of an insurance risk does it?!
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismk4gsi View Post
    Maybe you could play around with your job title when filling in the insurance form to bend the truth alittle to save £££??
    this reminds me of the famous example where a toilet cleaner would address himself as a "sanitary waste engineer" in order to make himself sound more important... TBH i always put down professional, I am a duty manager of a gym, so I guess I could come under skilled or professional..

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im a sports coach - not sure what affects this has but my qoutes are never reasonable

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    ah but do u use your car for business gregg? if u do and u notify ur insurers then this will put ur premiums up big time!

thats why i persuaded the boss to let me have the keys and to be insured on the works van, which i use for longer trips, although I do use mine occasionally NU gave me free business use when I renewed with them last time

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    did ya do a town planner search

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's down to claim statistics and generally how the insurance compeny care to rate you. Like if you are married, have children and a nice desk job they tend to assume you will drive in a more responsible mannor and not be as likely to claim.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150