Thread: Could anyone help with this?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Could anyone help with this?

Hey peeps I have a 2.2 Astra Coupe with a 200cell sports catt for the first 300 miles it was fine then the emissions light came on I took it to my mechanic had it put on the diagnostics nothing came up he told me the problem was that the 2nd lamba sencor was getting a wrong reading as with the sports catt was realising the gasses too quickly and it's getting a wrong reading and would need to be relocated a bit further away from the catt I took it to the place that done it ( A reputable company) and they told me that they would raise the sensor up a bit and this would fix it my mechanic told me na it would only mask the problem but I have noticed a couple of posts about this where a guy was saying about raising the lamba sensor to try and shorten the post my ECU/Emisions light is still on and has been for about 3-4k miles would I be better just getting it raised or getting my mechanic to do the mod he's talking about(what would you do) and is the fact that my light is still on affecting the car badly
    Thanks for taking the time to read this post any input will be apreciated...
    IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU DRIVE IT'S HOW YOU DRIVE FAST!!!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    It wouldn't just be a fault sensor that might have got damaged while changing the cat?

I alwasy thought the 200cell sports cats were the ones to go for as they don't effect the sensors
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure autosparks as I said it's been on the diagnostics machine so would this not have picked up any fault with either of the lamba sensors thanks for the reply mate think I'll take it to the Company that done the Exhaust and get them to do what they had said in the first place as I don't think driving my car around with the ECU/Emissions light on can be good for it or will this not matter so far fingers crossed everythings fine she's not guzzling anymore petrol and I have had the desired affect from the sports catt just unsure as to why my mechanics saying one thing and the company is saying another as both I would imagine would take around the same time to do
    Thanks Mate
    Alan....

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    having the light on for this shouldnt do too much I dont think, is the car struggling for power compared to normal? if so its probably going into Limp mode, which means the power output is reduced to save wear & tear on the engine, u will also get reduced fuel consumption hence why you aren't guzzling anymore fuel...

oh and another thing, u say your mechanic had diagnostic, was it a vauxhall dealership? u mite b better off going to them and gettin Tech 2 diagnostic as your joe bloggs independant mechanic probably won't have this, and its the most surefire way of diagnosing your fault!!

then take it somewhere for sum more fettling!!
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm thinking you should probably go with the exhaust guys as they obviously do this for a living, but if they had that much experience they woulda done the work to start with rather than waiting for the warning light to come on.

Tech2 at Vauxhall will let you know if a sensor has gone or if it is reading bad results.
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teejay View Post
    I'm thinking you should probably go with the exhaust guys as they obviously do this for a living, but if they had that much experience they woulda done the work to start with rather than waiting for the warning light to come on.

Tech2 at Vauxhall will let you know if a sensor has gone or if it is reading bad results.
    This is my thought exactly as far as a tech 2 diagnostics I know this might sound stupid but what is this and the mechanic I use preps his sons Formula Ford Car would he have this or is it only a thing Vauxhall have?
    Thanks guys I was told on another site to phone Courteney about something called a fudge sensor supposidly this fixes the problem that is the gas is passing the 2nd lamba sensor to fast now and it can't read it right I am taking it to the Company to raise the lamba sensor to get the light off but I am either going with this fudge sensor or with my mechanic I totally trust him he only really works preping Rally Cars and Expensive Cars Aston Martins etc he corner weighted my other Astras coilovers and what a difference I am only mentioning this as if you have coilovers I WOULD have this mod done my bro had it done to his KONIs too...

Thanks for all the help peeps and cheers for taking the time to read this post...(DEEP BREATH) lol

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Went to the guys that fitted the System today and had the spacer fitted so far so good I have done 100miles since resseting the ECU and it's looking good so fingers crossed untill I can get booked into my mechanic this will work and keep the ECU light off...(fingers crossed)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    duff sensor mte thats all