Thread: SR1 1.8 2003 25000mls

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SR1 1.8 2003 25000mls

Anyone got knowledge of common problems with the suspension, steering / drive on the above. Mine's has started to creak/kind of knock, mainly turning corners, not on the straight or accelerating or taking my foot off the gas, although I reckon I get a knock on the occasional speed bump. Anyway the noise sort of comes from underneath middle and I'm not too happy blaming it on the CV / universal / suspension items as I would have thought that knocking would have been heard at the wheel and with my low mileage. Anyone otherwise minded?

Al

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First off check the engine mounts - particularly the one at the front - open the bonnet and youll spot it down the front near the radiator. You may find the rubber bush has started to wear.

Personally though I think the noise will more than likely be caused by the anti roll bar link rods - theres one a piece on each side at the front - u can see them when u remove the wheel - these are a common fault and visible wear is an MOT failure.

If it is these (I suggest taking the car to an independent garage to have it looked at to assess) then these can be had for less than £20 and take about 20mins to fit.
    Heres what i mean: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASTRA-G-98-04-...QQcmdZViewItem

oh and Welcome to Astra Sport/Astra Owners Club

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That Noise

I've had the wheel off and found the link rods which surprised me in being plastic. Anyway they turn without any prob, no obvious noise and no obvious signs of wear. I've checked all the other gaiters - no probs and neither ball joint seems to be worn or damaged. Turning the streeing whilst not moving doesn't produce the noise. Anything else?