Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust for my mk4 HELP!!

Hi all.
    Been having some problems with the exhaust on my astra. At the weekend i finally got round to changing my cracked manifold and after much buggering about it all went on, done and dusted i thought. But no, unfortually whilst i'd been moving the system around getting it in the right place etc, the flexi pipe on the downpipe had managed to come away at one end.
    So got some exhaust wrap and gun gum sealant and went over it with that. Seemed to work, no leaking, great i thought. However it didn't last long and sure enough when i jumped in the car last night it was leaking badly.
    Now i'm taking the car to my mechnanic friend later to see if he can fix the problem. If not i'm gonna need a new exhaust, and becuase mine is the X18XE1 engine it means it has a very small manifold and huge downpipe and center section so gonna need to replace it all (bar the manifold) including the back box.
    I've found a full system for sale on www.tuning.com from Sportex for a very good price, but what i want to know is whats going to be involved in fitting it? The system on mine looks completly different to any i've encountered before. How do i know that the Sportex system will fit?
    Sorry for the essay, but hopefully someone will be able to help me on this one.
    Cheers Chris.
    Drives - '05 MK4 Astra Cabriolet Exclusiv
    Builds - '94 MK3 Astra Saab Turbo powered track car
    Too many ideas, never enough money!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think Sportex do full systems... only cat-back systems...

I wouldn't recommend the sportex cat-back system to highly either, I have it on my astra at the moment and want to change it. The back box sits so out of place that you need some huge man power to twist and turn it too look right. Not to mention the thread on the flange threaded slightly, so that needed to be re-tapped! The centre section I've had no problems with though, just make sure you put the sleeve fitting right in, and do it up very tight, then put some flange sealant round the edge!

Sam.
    Sam Fishlock
    Gentle Detail