Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HID Lights

Hi
    I'm thinking of getting a HID kit to fit to my standard lights. Has anybody had any problems in passing thier MOT or being pulled when the lights are fitted to standard lights? Just after a bit of insight before I order the kit.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeXI View Post
    On another note, I work at the Jaguar/Land rover factory in halewood and tonight I managed to wrap a £32,000 3.0 V6 X-type right up the arse of a brand new Freelander 2. Aint work brilliant.
    Haha, good work! (Know nothing about HID's sorry )

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can fit HIDs to standard lights and the should pass an MOT, there's debate if they are legal, but if you use the serch facility you'll find those debates.

As for you work, not sure I'd advertise if I'd done something like that at work.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Strictly speaking they arent legal in standard lights (ie those meant for halogen bulbs) as the HID light is emitted directly forwards - youll notice on special xenon equiped lenses that theres a small refractor directly infront of the tip of the bulb so that the light is not sent directly forwards.

OE Xenon lights are either as above (with the refractor) or projector lights. (on Astras these would be aftermarket angel eyes or OE look SharkEyes)

Personally Im running my HIDs in standard lights for the timebeing although they are technically illegal but just whilst im in the process of buying new sharkeyes to replace the shitty Angel Eyes.

As for passing an MOT in standard lights - this hasnt got anything to do with legality - all depends on what the tester sees fit. You'd probably find they passed no problem - personally I just disconnected mine and popped in a couple of H7 halogen bulbs to get it thru the test.

HTH

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have HID's fitted to mine in standard headlight and they passed MOT.. The tester said as long as they show the correct beam pattern they are fine..
    No longer a Astra Owner
    Now Drives -2006 Skoda Octavia vRs in Race Blue

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcastraDTi View Post
    I have HID's fitted to mine in standard headlight and they passed MOT.. The tester said as long as they show the correct beam pattern they are fine..
    Thats exactly my point - just cos they pass an MOT doesnt mean they are legal. As u say - as long as the beam pattern is correct then most testers will pass them without knowing the true legalities.

Either way - I say get em and fit em - the output is phenomenal compared to halogens - u wont be disappointed. Better still get some projector lights to stay on the right side of the law!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also, i hear that it is a possibility that I may require a relay to run the lights, how do I tell if this is needed, is it just a case of plugging everything in and if it works its ok and if it doesnt it needs a relay?
    What relay do I need if one is required?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    general the newer kits just plug and play,as you say if it wont work of the loom, its a case of from the battery with a relay, some kits come with them others dont
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi, i bought a set of hid's 8000k off nickboy. i would definatly reccomend these. took 2 days to deliver £90inc p+p recorded delivery. i was a bit unsure of what went where but they are well easy to fit. if you are around nottinghamish area i can give you a hand, just pm me, these are just plug in. they have a amazing differance in light to the normal ones. hope this helps. matt

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So speaking of legalities and MOT's, do angel eyes have to be "E-marked" to pass and if so are most them? Dont feel like having to swap them for the standards just to get it through the MOT. How much better are angel eyes compart to OE?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast